 General / 15420
15419  |  15421
Subject:
LEGO Bulk Sales in 1950's.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:24:26 GMT

This week I came across a new revelation.  LEGO used to sell pieces via
"bulk sales" back in the 1950's.  But that was only in Denmark around
circa 1954-56, and it was from RETAILERS!!!!.

I came across two old 1950's LEGO retailer boxes for  2x10 white beams,
and 2x3 white bricks in a European auction.  They were too pricey - so I
didn't buy them.  It seems that in the early years of LEGO Danish
retailers used to sell individual pieces.  You could buy one or one
hundred (or the whole box!).  I'm not sure if this was before the parts
packs came out, or in conjunction with the supplemental parts packs.  By
1957, when more and more parts packs came out, these bulk sales boxes
must have been discontinued.  The only items that continued to be sold
as bulk individual items were windows & doors.  These were produced from
1957 to approximately 1965 (I have a 1958 and a 1961 box), and were sold
even though a windows & doors parts pack was available.

Although regular bricks bulk sales were done in Denmark only, LEGO
windows & doors (as individual pieces) were sold throughout Europe
(never in the USA/Canada).  I found my 2 dealer windows & doors boxes in
Germany in 1979 (still sitting on the shelf waiting for someone to buy
individual parts).  In 1999 Mike Poindexter lucked out and found one of
these rare boxes in Switzerland.

Gary Istok