 General / 15273
15272  |  15274
Subject:
Help with restoring old LEGO parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:17:55 GMT

Hi,

I have aquired a significant part of my LEGO collection from the children of
friends and neighbors.  The up-side of this is that I can get about
$500-$1000 worth of LEGO for only about $50-$100.  Furthermore, these
collections often contain older and difficult-to-find parts.

The down-side of this is that many of the pieces are scratched and/or
discolored.

My 2 main specific problems are listed below.  If anyone has any
suggestions, then I'd really appreciate it:

1.  Discolored white bricks

It seems like almost all LEGO white bricks turn a light tan after many
years.  I'm not sure if they have corrected this problem in recent batches,
or if there are any factors that make it worse.  Anyhow, this is a curse
that affects many of my existing, white pieces.

I can correct the problem in some cases by using fine-grain sand paper on
the brick.  This removes the discoloration provided I'm only interested in
the side (the top can't be sanded).  Unfortunately, this removes a bit of
plastic, making the brick a tad smaller than it should be.  Also, it removes
the "sheen" on the side of the brick.

Are there other techniques (perhaps chemical-based rather than
physical-based)?  Are there ways of "polishing' the brick after sanding off
the discoloration (and perhaps any scratches).

2. Scratched-up clear (and colored clear) bricks

I have several prize clear bricks ( big bulbous windows, canopies, domes,
etc).  Even some of the brand new ones come with scratches.  I just got an
aquazone set with two, wonderful clear-green domes, but they had some minor
scratches!  Used bricks are in even worse condition.

I have no current solution to this problem. If I use my "sanding' technique,
it just scratches up the brick even more.  Is there a gentler "polishing'
technique that works?

thanks