 General / 14556
Re: LEGO History - 40 years ago today.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:06:43 GMT

Gary Istok skrev i meddelandet <389AFA00.1491EA53@umich.edu>...
Folks, today is an important day in the history of LEGO.

My German LEGO collector buddy Kurt Richter, whose birthday it is today
(Happy Birthday Kurt!) told me recently that on his birthday - February
4, 1960 - 40 years ago today, a very important event happened in the
history of LEGO.  It was the great wooden toy factory/warehouse fire
that destroyed the wooden line of LEGO toys.

It's also *my* birthday (although I was born 1954) :-))

A little nitpick:
... LEGO bricks (LEGO Mürsten in Danish) ...
No way! 'LEGO Mursten' - no dots on the U, that would be a German letter, not
in the Danish alphabet.

[...]
These early bricks, like the
earlier 1949 versions were easily differentiated from today's LEGO.
That was because the tubes underneath the bricks (that hold the bricks
firmly together) didn't come into being until 1958.

Thanks, that gives me a time frame for the old bricks my wife got from her
cousin as a child.

A fan of LEGO since 1960.  (No I was nowhere near that warehouse!  I was
6, living in Detroit, recently having emigrated with my family from
Germany.)

I have also been a LEGO fan since 1960 (I think), although my Dark Age has
been long, I didn't come back to LEGO until my kids needed them - about 1990
(I think).

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm