 General / 14108
Re: A Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 12:48:05 GMT

Cliff,

John Neal wrote:

Cliff Olson wrote:

As a professional observer, I have noticed something. There seems to be a
large segment of the LUG that collect MISB, un-opened sets, with the intention
of keeping them this way. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, just
genuinely curious as to why?

As someone who has always lived by the creedo that an "unplayed lego" is an
"unhappy lego", an MISB sets I have collected always get opened. Am I missing
out on some greater understanding about the world of legos?

Well, there will  always be those who collect to collect.  But beyond them,
buying and selling MISB is a way of guaranteeing condition of product.  And there
are those who buy a lot of discounted sets and sell them MISB to fund their
habit, or part them out to either get pieces they want or make money off of an
auction to fund their habit.  There are only a handful of people who try and make
money off of it.  And if I think about it, a job dealing with LEGO day in and out
isn't all bad;-)  Rest assured, the overwhelming majority of folk here collect
LEGO for the purpose of play:-)

I only buy a few sets and leave them unopened so that I can sell them
later to pay for the other LEGO items I buy. When you have a MISB, the
buyer knows that it has never been opened, all the parts are there, and
you get everything in the set. Some people just buy them to collect, I
try to pay off my LEGO debt. :)

Scott S.
Scott E. Sanburn-> ssanburn@cleanweb.net
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com