 General / 12914
Re: Swearing! (can there be something else?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 21:55:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Another old fuddy duddy heard from. :-) Did you catch that I trimmed the
old subject line down by one word too?
Oops. I noticed. Sorry. My misteak. It just seemed so.. so.. appropriate. But
I'll tone it down.

I just don't get it. Why is this so hard?

It is a little difficult because swearing is being redefined all around us,
esp. in the last few years. For example, "son of a gun"'s real phrase was used
when "M*A*S*H" was airing in primetime, thus severely bending that rule;
"Cheers" used a phrase similar to fanny-head; and who knows what's acceptable
in local radio markets these days? (cf. Howard Stern and Greaseman)

Maybe something like "Remy's Big-Donkey Lego Christmas!" would have been
better. Which leads me to my question: are euphemisms for swear words okay
with everyone? Like "donkey" or "mule" for the word that was dropped.

Maybe each Lugnet page (esp. the web-posting page) should have a "Rated G"
graphic in the upper left.

I think I'll just post now on as if I'm writing a script for a G-rated Disney
movie -- that probly would work.

Hakuna Matata!

-Tom McD.
Changing the world, one spamcake at a time.

The San Francisco Bay Area Users Group
http://www.baylug.org