 General / 1287
Re: lag
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:44:12 GMT

"Linc Smith" <ldsmith@pfc.forestry.ca> writes:

Beaker wrote in message ...
lugnet seems slow today ... is it just me?

It was slow yesterday, but it is good today.

I think you're seeing a net.clog somewhere rather than the server itself.
Let me check the load average logs for the past 72 hours...  Hmm, nothing
unusual.  Do you remember what time of the day it was slow for you?  There
was a small spike of high activity at 00:30 early Monday morning but it
lasted less than a minute.  Other than that, any slowness wouldn't be due to
CPU usage.  Now let me check the HTTP logs.  Hmm, nothing unusual there
either...except 4017 hits so far today on the /1999/ page so from 3347
unique IP addresses.  But that only accounts for 4% of today's traffic so
far.  I don't see any real spikes of HTTP activity either -- the most data
that went out in any given minute so far today was 7.4 MB (10% of capacity)
at 1:02pm EST.  The clog could be anywhere between the ISP pair.com and your
site...you might want to run a traceroute next time you experience slowness
and see where it's occurring...maybe something can be done about it or maybe
it's just the net being slow today.

LINC

I hope some gets that besides me ;-)

subtle pun somewhere?