 General / 12458
12457  |  12459
Subject:
various types of ABS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 03:01:51 GMT

  hi, y'all ~

  i've noticed that there are different types of plastic used in lego
elements, and am wondering if they are all made from differently treated ABS
plastic, or indeed other types of plastic/ rubber.

obviously, the hard brick plastic is what i think of being ABS plastic, but
are the treads and rubbery tires also made from it? some accessories fit
into a gray area between the hard and the soft.  a rifle, for instance, is a
softer plastic than a brick or torso, (as are the hands i've noticed) but
not as rubbery as a whip/vine piece.

  then there are the clear trans pieces which are harder than regular bricks.

  i've discovered most of this thru my "mad doctoring" (as _some_ would call
it..), but i discovered this about trans pieces by unfortunate accident when
making the scan of the lego dragonflies (the darker, bottom o' page pic on
craigo-lego)...
   the brown 1x3 plate and half of the hinge piece melted (due to the
lighting effect, using a 100 watt bulb, over an already hot scanner, on the
un-air-conditioned 3rd floor of a building in macon, georgia in august*),
but the trans-orange tiles connected to them did not.

  what are these different types? ~ enlighten me!

later ~ craig~

  * ~now THAT's hot!