 General / 11742
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:08:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.general, Brad Justus writes:

We cannot tell you how excited we are to be working with you all. We hope you
are equally encouraged by the renewed commitment we are making to you. We look
forward to a very rewarding collaboration.

Brad:

Welcome!  I'm sincerely glad that both you, and The Lego Corporation, have
joined our dialogue.  I hope that you feel welcomed...and know that for all our
(my) complaints and occasional spells of angry zeal, we are all united by a
fierce love of the bricks.

P.S.

What do I love?  Legos.  My life would never have been the same without them.
love everything Lego that is not juniorized.  What do I hate?  Juniorization.
You may have designed it for kids, but this adult has, and will continue to
have, a say in what he buys certain kids.  I don't have any children of my own,
but I am the temporary guardian of a nephew, and when I bought him Legos for
Christmas, I purchased Star Wars, in part because he loves those sets like I
do,
but also because they are not juniorized.  And you know what?  I have turned a
4-year-old child into a Lego fanatic.  I can almost promise you that he will
want Legos for many more years to come.  But if it hadn't been for the non-
juniorized Star Wars sets, well, your company would have had 1 less follower.
(For that matter, all of the sets that I have purchased for children this year
have been junior-free.)  If I have any say in the matter, I will buy no
juniorized sets for children.  My point here is that the adult Lego market is
not divorced from the children's market.  My parents and I have done more than
our fair share to contribute to Lego's profits over the past 20+ years, but I
can't promise that I will continue to purchase large amounts of Legos,
especially for children, if juniorization continues.  Go ahead, market
juniorized bricks, and lots of people will buy who don't know any better, who
maybe have not fallen in love with Lego yet.  But I will bet that a less-
intelligent version of Legos (i.e., juniorized) will not inspire the fierce
love
(and thus profits) over decades and decades, that we AFOLers are committed to.
It's your choice.  But this customer, this consumer, who has owned about 20,000
bricks, and might just buy another 20,000 bricks if he is satisfied, is dead
serious.  There is my rave.  But know this: I still love Legos.  And even if
you
didn't work for the company, I'm glad that you are here!