 General / 11693
Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 08:21:00 GMT

Brad Justus wrote:

To LEGO enthusiasts everywhere:

like: we are planning to make bulk ordering – albeit initially in a restricted
format – available by then.

DECEMBER 9
On this day in history,

1845 U.S. President Polk offers Mexico $25M to buy California (Mexico
refuses offer)
1865 The New York Stock Exchange has new home on Broad St.
1940 British launch their first major offensive of WWII in North Africa
1949 Chiang Kai Shek flees to Formosa
1961 "The Twist" as performed by Chubby Checker tops the charts
1963 Studebaker closes last of its U.S. manufacturing plants
1987 The Palestinian Intifada Begins on the Gaza Strip
1990 Lech Walesa Elected President of Poland
1999 The Lego Company announces bulk ordering

-- dave
David Blomberg

Re: Introducing LEGO Direct
like: we are planning to make bulk ordering – albeit initially in a restricted
format – available by then.

DECEMBER 9
On this day in history,

1845 U.S. President Polk offers Mexico $25M to buy California (Mexico
refuses offer)

Oooh, bad precedent.  They won't sell it?  We'll just wait a few years and take it!

1865 The New York Stock Exchange has new home on Broad St.

The jury's still out on this one.

1940 British launch their first major offensive of WWII in North Africa

That didn't last long.

1949 Chiang Kai Shek flees to Formosa

...thus dooming Taiwan to the brutal martial rule of a siege state.  Granted, this
isn't too different in function than the alternative.

1961 "The Twist" as performed by Chubby Checker tops the charts

Well, OK, you have me here--this isn't exactly depressing, unless you take offence
at Chubby Checker's choice of sweaters.

1963 Studebaker closes last of its U.S. manufacturing plants

A moment of silence, please...the deceased?  Automotive style (at least until the
90s).

1987 The Palestinian Intifada Begins on the Gaza Strip

Hmmm, another depressing neocolonial uprising.

1990 Lech Walesa Elected President of Poland

I've always found it humorous that Poland had a Lech as a president before the
United States did (but only barely).  <insert rim shot here>

1999 The Lego Company announces bulk ordering

It's always great to end on a **positive** note!  I hardly remember all of that
other stuff.  ;)

best

Lindsay

---