 General / 11426
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 03:14:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
I agree. LEGO definitely doesn't need our support, because otherwise they
would've taken us much more seriously.
I mean, c'mon, TLC can find LUGNET easily - it's probably the second that
comes up in -any- search motor, after themselves, but obviously, they don't
care. So why should we take in account what they might or might not think,
when, I'm pretty sure, they don't think anything, because they haven't even
considered reading LUGNET?

There is significant circumstantial evidence, and numerous reports that Lego
*does* read Lugnet.  It is also rumoured (by people uninclined to hyperbole)
that there are people in the Lego Company hierarchy who read/monitor Lugnet and
RTL as part of their job.

I think putting up info about new sets does no harm to TLC. In fact, probably
the opposite - people plan ahead, and save money for sets they know they'll
want... people see sets are about to be discountinued (maybe that wasn't
included, I don't know) and rush to buy them... I think you get the picture.

The issue wasn't so much about whether it will harm the Lego Company or not.
It's fairly plain that it won't, in any marketing sense, at least, not at this
late date.  The issue was about respect and intent.  Retailer catalogues are
not generally intended for public consumption.  By ingnoring that intent, we
are showing that we don't really care about what Lego wants - by extension, why
should they then care about what we want?

I, like most of the folks around here (I suspect) didn't even *think* about
that until it was pointed out to me.  My initial reaction was also "Why the
<bleep> shouldn't Huw have those scans up" - until I thought about it more, and
decided it was probably a good idea to not post them publically.  It's entirely
possible (and to be honest, IMHO probable) that it won't make a bit of
difference.  But on the off-hand chance that it does, I can wait to see those
pictures.

I mean, it's not like we *aren't* going to see those pictures, or know those
prices, through regular channels within the next few weeks anyway, right?

Well, that's just my opinion.

Opinions are great, I think everyone should have them.
I know I have my share. :)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/