 General / 11326
Re: Rarity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 14:39:41 GMT

Richard Schuit wrote:

Does anyone know of any sites listing the rarity of lego sets? Also what of a
page that lists lego parts by name?

Rarity, hmmmmmm, there is no website that lists rare sets or any other rarity
measurement.  There are a few European collectors that I talk to that each has
their own idea of what sets are rare.  But this info is not divulged because
people always seem to use this info for profit (via EBAY, etc).  I will give an
example of a rare set that I have.  That would be parts pack 1224 (from 1956,
made in Denmark only), which has the quarter circle bricks (macaroni) in 4
different types, only one of which was made beyond 1957.  This set is so rare,
that many early European collectors were unaware that 2 of the 4 types even
existed.  (Luckily a Danish gentleman sold me this set about 3 months ago.)

Besides rarity, there is demand.  Some sets, such as the Metroliner, Yellow
Castle and Intercity Train are NOT rare, but in great demand.  Therefore their
prices are pretty steep.

But to answer your question, no, rare sets are not documented on any website.

Gary Istok