 General / 11287
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 04:47:58 GMT

Gaaak... go out for the evening an a hurricane blows through...

I just wanted to throw out some half-baked thoughts on why one should
respect a manufacturers wishes about their marketing materials. I have
absolutely no training as a lawyer, so don't take any of these thoughts as
professional:

- I know that there can be legal implications of early marketing. I'm not
sure any apply here, but I do know that the consent decree strongly affected
IBM's marketing. There were severe restrictions on announcing products
before they were ready for release (I think the rationale was something on
the line of: company X is developing an releasing product Y. IBM announces
it is developing product y2. customers decide to wait for IBM's version.
company X folds. IBM now has a monopoly on product y2, and need not compete
with product y).

- There can be customer relations implications. Some products will be
canceled (witness the Star Wars bucket). If there is a general consumer
expectation that a product will be released, there will be fallout if it is
not released. Companies may chose to market a product to the retail outlets,
and decide based on ordering how far to carry the product. Schedules may
also change severely (witness how much flak Microsoft gets for releasing
products late).

I have to jump on the "I think it's best to follow TLC's wishes", and even
go beyond their expressed wishes, and try to play responsibly. If we don't
show responsibility, we will never see much influence (I wonder if the train
parts deal died because it was handled irresponsibly from TLC's
perspective?)

Frank