 General / 11250
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:52:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson writes:
I aggree with this. the hollywood news sites regularly post "insider
gossip" on the latest hollywood films so why shouldn't we post pictures of
this dealers catalog. If someone has scans then that is ok.

Hollywood "insider gossip" is a little different, Jonathan.  Movie rumors
and leaked trade secrets rarely infringe on copyrights at respectable sites.
How many "Hollywood news sites" do you see with illicit movie scripts or
leaked scans of posters or movie stills?  Do you see a lot of them?  Right,
because all the illegally leaked stuff out there gets distributed through
covert channels or published anonymously on Usenet, not on respectable sites.

Anyone on a major movie-news site publishes an illegally leaked copy of a
movie script and what happens?  They face a pack of angry lawyers within
days if not hours.

AFAIK, it's not illegal to traffic in rumors, assuming the appropriate
disclaimers, but even in Hollywood, a person who leaks confidental
information about a movie script will get their butt hauled into court if
they are under NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and they're found out.  This
is why movie scripts often contain intentional errors -- each copy with a
slightly different error -- so that breaches can be tracked and they know
exactly who is [ir]responsible for breaching the NDA.

Why we shouldn't post copies of retailer catalogs is because we weren't meant
to see them in the first place.  It's a matter of respect, if not legalities,
worst come to worst.

--Todd