 General / 11053
11052  |  11054
Subject:
Rare Classic LEGO Window variations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 16:19:49 GMT

I just got an very old LEGO set in the mail from Germany last weekend.
It was the old 1950's version of the Town Plan.  It is set "#700 mit
Inhalt" (with contents), and is in a large wooden box with a 2 piece
sliding lid that has the 1950's Town Plan on the reverse.  This set had
the old basic bricks without the tubes underneath (which first came out
in 1958), which dated this to 1957 (this set was made until circa
1960).  The set also had the Esso Sign & Pumps, 1950's version of the
flat trees, classic road signs (shorter than today's roadsigns), and (7)
1x6 and 1x8 white beams with names on them (Theater, CAFE, Würstschen
(Sausages), BAHNHOF (Train Station), TABAK (Tabacconist), TAXE (Taxi),
and ESSO WAGENPFLEGE (Esso Service).

This set also had 40 classic doors and windows.  This set first came out
in 1957, the same year that the majority of the classic doors and
windows came out.  What was really surprising about these '57 windows
and doors is that they all had regular LEGO studs on top, not the hole
with "LEGO" stamped at the bottom of the hole (that you still find in
1x2x2 windows today).  I checked my window inventory, and I could find
no other classic windows with regular studs on top.  Perhaps they made
the regular stud windows only in 1957?

Interesting variation.

Gary Istok