 General / 10010
Re: What might have been...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 03:53:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy Sproat writes:
Sanjay D'Souza wrote:
After reading a number of posts from people who are disappointed at some of
the sets I wondered what kind of reaction previous years LEGO sets would
have got if LUGNET was around........ummmm.......
[...]

The man makes a point.

After seeing the LEGO y2k catalog, the one thing that's been going around and
around in my head is the notion that we are getting older -- all of us --
while the average age of TLG's targeted audience is pretty much staying put.
Of *course* newer sets are going to be worse than before.

After agreeing with Sproaticus, two thoughts of yesteryear (the 1980's) come
back to mind:

1) I thought most space stuff after the 1980 unnamed classic space stuff was
ugly, (Futuron, Ice Planet 2002, etc.), and the yellow in Blacktron was too
girly for me (red would have been wicked cool).[1]

2) 99% of all sets I buy strictly for pieces; sets only served as mild
inspiration.

Even now, I still pretty much agree about the above two ideas, except that
I've completely changed my mind about all classic space stuff through Spyrius,
and I've lightened up a lot about Blacktron (though IMO red still would have
been better).

What makes me think Lego will release better sets as the years go on? Nothing.
I can only hope that my creativity continues to expand as I see newer and
different pieces come out year after year that aren't too SPUDish. It's what
*I* do with the pieces in those sets that matters.

-Tom McD.
when replying, be sure to watch that beloved holiday TV special "The Spamcake
That Stole Christmas"

[1] I also remember thinking how cool the Galaxy Explorer/Space Cruiser
landing gear pieces would have been if they were spring-loaded like they
appear to be. I still think that would be way cool.