 Gaming / Starship / 305
Re: Ship Logs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:07:46 GMT

In lugnet.gaming.starship, Andrew Engstrom wrote:
   Hey all

The other night I was re-reading some of the Errant Kangaroo’s action emails, and I thought, “What a pity it would be to just toss out all that hard work when it’s all over.” So then I got to thinking how Richard did such a splendid job on the logs of the HES Sirius in Spraw.

So I decided that I’d make logs for my ships, also. So far, only the Kangaroo’s logs are active, and them again only partially. But you get the idea of the thing. I try to get as much detail of the email as I can into the log entry, but still write it IC, not just mashing action emails between some html.

I think that this is an excellent way to present ourselves to people interested in joining Starship. If every ship, or at least every player, had logs for their ship(s) then outsiders would have a much easier time getting the feel for the game and how things work, and the many different styles and flavors of Starship.

And not only would the new recruits benefit -- players and SM’s can read ship logs to see what someone has been up to. I, for one, would like to know what is happening to individual ships. Knowing general events in a sector is nice, but when you put so much work into creating a story, it should be shared with other people. In one of my action emails in New Pacific, I noted that even if I wanted to reach a certain outcome, the value of a story is in its telling -- not just the end result.

My ship logs page is the Helix “Stats” page, found here: http://www.ozbricks.com/alliancefleet/helix/stats.html

Create a simple page for your ship and show us! We are interested in what is happening to all our players!

Andrew

I know Sean made a log of his ship(s) in Arbor. I don’t know where it is, though.

I save all action emails of each ship in Arbor, so if anyone requests any for their own purposes, just email me. In time, perhaps, I will have a log of each ship on Arbor’s page, but until then, I’ve got schooling to do.

Anyway, I’ll be looking forward to seeing some great IC stories. Keep us all informed.

BTW Andrew, good work. But, on the ships’ logs pages, half the text is off the page, and there’s no horizantal scrollbar. HTML error, I suppose. Just check it out.

-Dan