 Gaming / Starship / 24
23  |  25
Subject:
Starship RPG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming.starship
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 07:06:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi guys,

I've been interested in this Starship game for quite awhile now, looks like
there's a good amount of excitement about it, but I've never been able to
quite figure out exactly what it was.  I'm sure everything starts to make
sense once you're actually in the game, but as an outsider I've spent an
hour here and there at various times trolling the Starship links and have
never been able to figure out basically anything.  I'd kind of hoped that
after the Spraw Artifact adventure came to its conclusion, there'd be some
kind of denouement in which non-paricipants could find out:

1. what happened
2. what gameplay is like
3. what kinds of fun people had
4. how the universe works
5. what kind of community spirit is in place
6. what kind of technologies are in play

etc.

But, I still haven't seen anything like that; maybe I just haven't dug far
enough on the creationcenter boards (I poked around, but the pain involved
in trying to navigate from post to post is so intense!).

I was wondering whether Starship would be the type of game that I'd enjoy
playing, but I still have no idea what it is besides its basic genre (Space)
and medium (LEGO).  Even the process for joining the game has me confused -
I build a ship and assign quality ratings to each of its systems, right, but
there's no context for what any of those those quality ratings mean.  For
instance I see that the "Castle's Revenge" has comparable stats to the "CRS
Spartan," despite there being a size difference of a thousand times in every
dimension.

So is there some critical weblink that I overlooked, or is this just one of
those "No one can be told what the Matrix is" deals?  Even some kind of
brief weekly "Galactic News" updates would be a giant help.