 Gaming / 751
  Re: New fantasy battle rules....

(...) Close, Robin... but not close enough. D&D was first developed from Chainmail about 30 years ago. In around 1970 was the first fantasy Chainmail game that started the concept of role-playing in a wargame... and creating some new form of gaming (...) (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: New fantasy battle rules....

(...) As I understand it from some folks I have talked to, there actually was some roleplaying even earlier than Chainmail, it just didn't directly develop into the first commerical role playing game. Of course many wargames are also technically (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: New fantasy battle rules....

This is getting horrendously off topic... but what the heck :-) (...) It is actually correct as the Monster Manual was originally released as a Dungeons & Dragons product (not Advanced D&D), it was re-branded after the release of the PHB and DMG. (...) (23 years ago, 5-May-01, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: New fantasy battle rules....

(...) Hmm, I distinctly remember the MM being branded AD&D. As I recall, Basic D&D (the original one) mentioned the "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" which was soon to come out. Of course I could be horribly mistaken. Frank (23 years ago, 5-May-01, to lugnet.gaming)

  [OT] Re: New fantasy battle rules....

(...) The very first printing of the Monster Manual had "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" in red right at the top of the front cover. It never made much sense to me to release the MM before the PHB, but that is how it happened. For images of that cover (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: [OT] Re: New fantasy battle rules....

(...) See my other post about the accuracy of this site. I'm not convinced that all the scans are correct. But we are getting so off topic we should probably stop now :-) Regards Neil. (23 years ago, 9-May-01, to lugnet.gaming)