 Gaming / 720
Re: Green Ship MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:28:13 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Frank Filz writes:
Mr L F Braun wrote:
   Stands to reason.  But could not the larger class still be useful,
   if only for carrying capacity, speed, and hits to destroy?  I'd
   be interested in hearing what the new difference would be, if any.

I would be inclined to make the only change be that the number of cannon
doesn't jump. The hit points and initial crew for a battle game probably
do make sense to have the jump. Of course it's a limited issue in some
ways the way I will tend to be running the game since I'm not sure how
often the larger ships will come into play if we constantly do the
campaign game style. I'm hoping we can get a smoother running game, and
I think I will make it easier to get treasure so ship upgrades happen
more often.

   That's a lot to balance, granted--and upon thinking about it,
   I agree that it's kind of silly to add cannon.  After all,
   there's no added amount of broadside area, so why more guns?

   Regarding treasure, it might be easiest just to make merchant
   vessels easier to catch.  For example, give a speed bonus to
   Pirate captains, or a speed "negative" to merchant ships.  If
   you have certain designated merchant vessels that cannot be
   impressed as pirate ships directly but only sold off--for
   example, fluyts and merchant cutters--that can avoid the
   "rampaging Pirate fleet" effect.  After all, the easiest way
   for pirates to get booty was to take ships; very often, they
   could not use the vessels themselves (or could only make one
   seaworthy).

The other thought would be to have session to session continuity so that
over time you may get bigger ships (but make sure the game is
sufficiently destructive that you get reset often to avoid the 18th
level wizard problem).

   I've thought about that too--it presumes of course a cadre
   of us who will play in every possible session (gee, I wonder
   who that would be...) which isn't hard to envision.  If one
   either adds hazards to large ships, or makes the challenges
   rise all that much faster, it can help keep things in check.
   In reality, a few pirate cutters flitting about wouldn't
   have been too attention-getting, but a pirate frigate, that
   would have brought the Navy out in superior force.  And a
   pirate cutter can disguise itself, whereas a known large
   outlaw ship would be very hard to pass off as anything but.
   They're all fairly unique, after all!  And the larger a ship
   gets, the more pirates you need to run it, and thus the
   greater the likelihood that you'll have a disgruntled crewman...

I've also toyed with the idea of starting players with larger ships, but
then the cutters might not come into play very well (though perhaps
players could be started with 2 or 3 classes of ship).

   That's a possibility; I like the idea of a fleet that nibbles
   its opponents to death like a flock of ducks.  What about the
   possibility that any ship not under direct control goes its
   own way?  A necessity for keeping ships within LOS might
   be ideal.

I may have to consider thoughts on a battle game with enough campaign
style elements that people can start with several classes of ship, but
still encourage some of what I see as the good points of the campaign
game (one must realize that my interest in gaming has always been
campaign role playing, I've never been too much of one for traditional
war games).

   Ah.  Well, I think as we'd done it we were set up for either
   campaign or battle royale.

   I'm glad you managed to get a bunch of those.  I'm now wishing
   I hadn't gotten rid of all my Weapons Wagons.  Wait, I still do
   have a couple unopened!  (What sets did those pieces come in?)

As far as I know, the only place the 1x4 plate with rod hooking down
have appeared in black have been pirate ships. I got my stock from
AucZilla or one of the other big parts auctions. I remember paying a
pretty penny for them, but I was willing to do so because I knew I
wanted to convert a bunch of older pirate ships to studs up spars. I was
ecstatic to see the part in the Axe Cart even if it was in red.

   Ah, it was the 1x4 with towball in the Weapons Wagon.  Yes,
   those are rare bits indeed...none of the new sets have them
   either, I gather.  :(  I think I do have a few yellow ones,
   though--I'm not sure however.

Nope, not the 1x4 with towball either. The Weapons Wagon has 3 1x2 plate
with rod hooking up, and a cannon. The 1x4 plate with towball is
available in a couple recent (non-Pirate) sets: 5978  Sphynx Secret
Surprise (4 in brown), 6584  Extreme Team Challenge (4 in white). I also
bought a horde of black 1x4 plates with towball (those I think I got on
eBay). The good thing is that I'm building up a good collection of red
1x4 plates with towball, so I'll be having a bunch of ships with red
spars. The one thing I think I'm still missing (and I have no idea if it
exists) is 1x2 plate with 3 hinge fingers along one side in red. I also
only have one or two of the 1x6 (or is it 1x8) plate with 2 hinge
fingers at one end and 3 at the other end.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com