 Gaming / 52
Re: NELUG Brickwars 04/01/00 pics are up.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:49:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Mike Rayhawk writes:
It's probably been said, but oh well.  :-,  That Templar Power Suit
is awesome.  Is it something like the Space Marines Dreadnaught from
Warhammer 40000?  The many examples shown are incredible.

Thanks!

A bunch of people have mailed in and told me that a lot of parts of BrikWars
were ripped off from Warhammer 40k.  I haven't actually ever read or played
WH40K so I wouldn't know for sure, but it seemed likely enough, so I went down
to my local WH40K store (there actually is a WH40K-only store about a mile
from my house) to take a look.  I didn't stay long enough to open any of the
books and check out the rules, because the store personnel were weirdos and
they gave me the creeps,

Heh.  Yeah, they'll do that to ya.  I passed a Games Workshop store in Paris
and I couldn't resist stopping in, as I had never been to one before.  Even the
suave Frenchie gamers were pretty much creepy guys.

but I saw the pictures of the robot guys on the
covers and figured they would be fun to try and build.  So if those are Space
Marines Dreadnaughts, then you have a good eye, because that's what the
Templars were based on.

There are some similarities between BrikWars and 40k, but not really *that*
many.  There were some very specific things in the old Lego Wars texts that
made it pretty clear that Todd Ogrin and... ummm... the other guy had at least
a slightly more than passing familiarity with the layout of the books and their
general style.

Anyway, BrikWars in it's current form is a lot simpler to play.  A *lot*
simpler to play.  I was pretty into 40k at one time, and in fact still have a
bunch of minis to paint if I ever get really, really bored (actually, I rather
liked painting minis, but minifigs are a lot more fun.  Not to paint, I mean,
but to game with).

Actually, oddly enough, there's more similarity between BrikWars and Invasion
Earth by Harlequin Games, but IE came out so recently that, if anything, they
probably ripped you off.  :D

Now, if only I could find a way to make minifig-scale Daleks...

eric