 Gaming / 1857
Re: BrickMech Website and Rules Now Posted!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:59:23 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
In lugnet.build.mecha, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
The range table divides stats between mechs and vehicles - this seems
unnecessary, since (a) their stats are (almost) identical, apart from the fact
that mechs can have melee weapons and vehicles can't, and (b) it almost seems
like vehicles aren't really part of this game?  Or have they just not gotten a
Record Sheet yet?

Right... I wanted just enough in the rules so that I could introduce a record
sheet later on, or likely several record sheets (ground vehicle, VTOL, etc) that
could introduce new things to the game.  So right now it's just a hook in the
rules to hang future developments onto.

Part of the holdup on vehicles is I want them modular too...

At first glance I thought there might be too many random elements in the mech
creation process, but on a second look I see that the variation isn't so extreme
as to be unbalancing.

Right... it started out as one pool of points from which to choose everything,
but mechs ended up way too defensive.

On thing I wouldn't mind seeing, though, is just a little
more room for design variation - I'd want the option to take one of the Armor
Points dice and use it for Movement or Attack+Defense instead.

I'll keep that in mind as I move forward, but for a session of the game to go
anywhere certain things have to be in place... like it's very intentional that
you can have more attack dice than defense dice.  I also wanted to keep it
simple because one die's worth of Armor Points isn't worth one die worth of
movement (but worth more than one point of movement) or another attack or
defense die.  The original version of the rules had a complicated system of
point values for each stat.

Lastly, it looks like the rules are pretty consistent, but on my first
read-through I had to do a lot of searching between where certain game stats are
introduced and where their actual effects are explained - I wouldn't mind a
small introductory section with 'these are your bonuses and this is what they
mean; this is a heat marker and this is what it represents;' etc.

That's a good idea.  I'll see what I can do about it.  It's definitely a game
easier to learn through a demo than by reading... the mech creation process
especially can be confusing.  I was thinking of an online tutorial actually...
maybe something in Flash.

Thanks for the feedback!

Peter