 Gaming / 1820
Re: more BrickQuest Q's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:11:02 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Joe Strout wrote:

   But it seems like the BrickMaster gets to have pretty much all of the LEGO fun. He builds the dungeons, monsters, swag, etc. Players I suppose get to dress their minifigs, but that’s about it.

Yes, that’s definitely true as the game stands now--once again, largely designed around gaming cons where players aren’t going to bring much if anything.

Is there any way to let players do more building (since, after all, that’s what we all love to do here)? I’m thinking perhaps something where the players bring their own rooms and trappings to the game, and the BrickMaster integrates these (as well as he can) into a dungeon on the fly.

I think that’s definitely possible and it’s something I’ve talked about with Jason Spears, James Seibert, etc. I build all my stuff modularly, but I think it would be possible to distill a simpler modular system where basically the floor has to be 4x4 squares and the room connections have to fit, but not everyone has to build modular walls, etc.--in other words, the room can be a complete entity. In that case I don’t think there’s a need for a BrickMaster at all... players can take turn adding to the dungeon, putting their rooms wherever, and then can start from different entrances and compete against each other.

In such a case I think players would play more than one character, something like MageKnight Dungeons.

Or maybe something with two teams, where each team builds their own fortress, and each team is trying to capture the other team’s king. So both sides would be both attacking and defending, and both teams would get to do a lot of building before the game.

Hmm, hadn’t thought of that before, but it’s certainly possible.

Peter