 Gaming / 1507
Re: New LEGO-themed PC game (not official)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:59:30 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Jordan Bradford wrote:

   I definitely need to change the name of the mod, as it is no doubt a trademark violation. BrikWars would have been a good name, but it’s already taken, and I don’t want it to be too much like BrikWars anyway. Suggestions are most welcome.

Sounds like you’re going to be taking some legal risks no matter what you do, since LEGO has form patents on the minifig itself (as well as most of the weapons), if you have anything that “looks like” a minifig in the game, you’re stepping on their intellectual property and are vulnerable to legal action. (There are a list of a specific details that constitutes “looking like” a LEGO figure, which is why Mega Bloks and such can get away with figures that look slightly different.) There’s a chance that the minifig patents run out in the next year or so since they’re hitting the 25-year limit, but I’m guessing LEGO will find a way to keep them alive somehow.

Since there have been a lot of Lego-themed game conversions over the last decade or so, you probably have a good chance of Lego turning a blind eye if you use minifigures in the game, but you’re probably right that the ‘Legoland’ title and the Half-Life symbol are just asking for trouble.

I actually had what I thought was a really good idea for a Lego-themed Unreal mod for Unreal’s big mod contest, I just couldn’t get anyone else to sign on to back me up. I fully believe in the fun potential of a Lego-themed FPS though, I’m going to send you an email to discuss this further.