 Games / 229
228  |  230
Subject:
NBA/Basketball sets - what fun!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2003, lugnet.general, lugnet.games
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:39:04 GMT

Everyone --
I just got <set:3432> for my birthday, and it's a blast!! I fell in love
with these sets when I traded Kevin Clague for <set:3428> at BricksWest, so
I had to get the full court. It was a lot of fun to play with a mixed crowd
of kids and adults, and the adults were all non-FOLs (of the three AFOLs I
invited to the party, none showed up! -- yeah Ahui, Ondrew, Brian... just
kidding ;-) ).

Anyways, I've got a few observations, if they haven't been made before (if
they have, my apologies):

- Each team gets one really strong-springed minifig. He is identifiable by
the yellow spring on his left leg. I put this guy on the fixed defense
position, so he can lob the ball down the court. He can even score from that
position!

- I can score with any minifig except the (guard?? pardon my lack of bball
knowledge, not a sports fan) guy on the stick, assuming he's on defense
guarding the net. Assuming he's on offence to dunk the ball, I haven't
experimented with using him to score yet.

- The weaker springed minifigs can pass to each other rather well, as Greg
already observed with a video: http://news.lugnet.com/reviews/?n=1031 (he
alwo wrote this great review: http://news.lugnet.com/reviews/?n=1025). The
strong one is really bad at passing, since he usually lobs the ball over the
receiver's head. Passing with him requires a really precise release, can't
pull him back too much.

- You can put backspin on the ball. It's all how you release the minifig,
I've made the ball go straight up, and also made it fly back at me. Just a
little bit of a twitch backwards before the release is all it takes -
practice with this, it can be useful especially taking shots close to the
net. With a tiny bit of backspin, you can get a high arc on the ball.

- I don't like using guys with hair. It changes the balance of the fig,
making him actually perform differently. Plus, the stud on the head is a
perfect grip to hold on to the fig with before flicking him. I wonder what
this means for a WNBA team -- if LEGO ever comes out with one?

This all gets me thinking about rules... since I spent last night playing
with a bunch of people eager just to flick the ball around. You could create
different rules for different desired difficulty levels. Since I've been
able to score with each minifig except the guy on the stick (assuming he's
on D), for a more difficult game perhaps require a number of completed
passes before you're allowed to take a shot. This could make the game a lot
more about skill and strategy than just shooting. For quicker games, allow
any minifig to score, as soon as he picks up the ball.

Hope others are enjoying these sets as much as I am. Like Greg, whenever I
walk by the court I can't resist taking some shots with it. Another great
product by LEGO!!! (now if they just produced the set without licensing
non-LEGO brand names, I'd be thrilled!!)

-Tim