 Fun / Party / 26
25  |  27
Subject:
Lego Birthday Party
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.party
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:06:50 GMT

Hoping to help someone else in planning a child's party, I'm reviewing what we
planned for my son's 5th birthday Lego Party last fall.  Many of these ideas
were inspired by www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/lego.html, so be sure to check
there, too.

We decorated in mostly red, blue and green with only a few yellow accents.
Didn't want it to look too 'primary colors'.  I skipped the Lego partyware and
got (I think) red plates, green cups, blue utensils and yellow napkins.  Other
than the usual balloons and streamers, we also taped up a bunch of those posters
that are included in sets and some yellow "Construction Zone" tape.

We rented a long children's table with green chairs ($22?).  To make a
tablecloth, we covered the table with craft paper and stamped with sponges cut
to various Lego/Duplo brick sizes and shapes.

We started out with the table being a building area.  I filled an underbed box
with 4 boxes of 4120 Fun and Cool Transportation which I happened to have found
on sale.  Also threw an assortment of animals, plants, etc to liven things up a
bit.  I set a baseplate and an assembled car base at each seat.  Left the
instructions about to inspire the non-builders.  I think the parents spent more
time here than the kids!

For the younger kids, I had a small table set up with Duplo bricks and put Primo
blocks into the playpen for the youngest.

We also had an area where the kids could play with some pre-assembled models.
In the weeks leading up to the party, my son had fun selecting and building what
he was going to display at his party.  (We had wheeled the rest of our Lego
collection into my bedroom to keep little fingers out!)

I didn't plan much in the way of organized activities as we had quite a range of
ages.  We played the classics "Build your tower as tall as this box to win a
sticker" and "Drop a brick into this hole to win a sticker"  We tried to play
"Lego Charades", but I think it would have worked better with older kids.  I
also made a "Pin the Hat on the Minifig" game, but we ended up just turning him
into a poster.  My husband suggested that even young children would be smart
enough to figure out where the top of the picture was, so perhaps a differnt
subject would work better!  (He did turn out cute, though, and is still hanging
in the family room!)  Other ideas I came across, but didn't try, were to race
cars they build themselves and to have timed building contests.

For food, I really tried to come up with block-ish ideas.  I had wanted to make
a Lego-like cake: picture Twinkie size "bricks", frosted different colors and
stacked on a green baseplate cake!  Crucial to that plan was to use mini-M&M's
as studs, but the colors melted in the frosting.  At the last minute we ended up
with cupcakes frosted to look like minifig faces.  I presented them on a tray
covered with 1x1 bricks, so it did look somewhat festive.  I cut up bits of
cheese and fruit to 1x brick sizes (one parent even noticed!) and offered square
and rectangle-shaped crackers.  The cutest idea I came across was to freeze
ass't color Kool-Aid ice-cubes so that they look like floating bricks. Be sure
to use clear soda and clear glasses! (Store each color in it's own container so
they don't 'stain' each other.  Also, the smaller the cubes, the more colors you
can fit in each glass!)  Of course, we also had to track down those Candy Blox!

For goodie bags, we gave each child 2 of the 1246-51 Shell promo sets.  I also
parted out a Duplo Forest Friends set for the younger siblings.  For this year's
non-Lego party, he still wanted to give Lego bricks, so we are splitting up a
couple of Advent calendars.

Overall, it was a homey, but very cute party.

Hope this helps!  Kristine