 Fun / Holiday / 174
Re: Holiday Greeting card
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun.holiday
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 00:53:31 GMT

In lugnet.fun.holiday, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
Nice scene, Nick.

I love your choice for the star atop the tree.  You can just barely see it,
but the rubber-bands-as-ribbon on the red present works great.  The string of
lights also a nice touch.

As someone who just spent the day on his own very similar holiday scene (and
who couldn't find his Harry Potter 1x2 gray tile with the sock printed on
it), I appreciate the challenge in making good stockings.  Yours look very
festive, if a little comically oversized.  I'm not sure I did any better by
hanging detached minifig legs by the fire with care.  @8^)

-Brendan

PS. Do your cats really get up that high on the tree?

Thanks Brendan!  Let me say that the Brick Testament was the main inspiration
behind doing the holiday scene.

The star came about because my NLSO, who comissioned the work, looked at the
original tree topper and said "don't you have something better?"  After going
into a defensive pout, I remembered the sea critters that came with the Gungan
sets, and appeased her..... for now.

Great catch on the rubber bands!  I really goofed while posing the scene - while
moving the set & camera around trying to eliminate glare (fixed light source), I
didn't think to rearrange the packages to spotlight the rubber band boxes.
Inexperience at play, I guess.

Our cats - Kiddie (black cat) has gotten lost in the tree before.  In the past
couple of years, she's scaled back to simply knocking off EVERY ornament she can
get to.  Joey (white, but really grey) moved in this March, and we don't know
how he is around a tree yet - but all indications point to "Return of the
Toppled Tree" this year.

Thanks again for the comments!
-nk