 Fun / Gaming / 751
Re: New fantasy battle rules....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 23:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Brown writes:
Holy full circle, batman!

D&D was developed *from* a fantasy wargame called Chainmail, something like
20 years ago.

James

Close, Robin... but not close enough.  D&D was first developed from
Chainmail about 30 years ago.  In around 1970 was the first fantasy
Chainmail game that started the concept of role-playing in a wargame... and
creating some new form of gaming in the process.  D&D itself was first
published in 1974.

You can check TSR's history of D&D at:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_FAQ.asp

Scroll down the page until you reach the timeline.

Tony (who has been role-playing for 19 years and counting)