 Fun / 42
41  |  43
Subject:
Island Hopper Breaks Sales Records
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:41:03 GMT

Found on rec.toys.lego:

(Infield, CO) Caused in part by a random Internet outage, sales of a famous toy
company's new Island Hopper set have broken sales volume records everywhere.
"Tuesday, Jul 18 will go on the books as the day our orders were for nothing but
Island Hopper and other Dino Island sets. It has been a fantastic boost to this
recently-launched theme," a corporate spokesperson said. "And it really
demonstrates the importance of reaching out to the Internet community."

The sales anomaly was sparked by a service outage at LUGNET, a popular Internet
site where fans of the original plastic brick post messages. It is not known why
it started or when it will end. News-starved LUGNETters (a term they sometimes
use to describe themselves) who are used to seeing the most recent messages on
their startup web page, have been greeted instead by the last 4 messages to have
been posted before the outage began. The discussion about the "Island Hopper" is
what they see first, creating massive free exposure for the famous toy company.
"It's like they ran a Superbowl ad," one anonymous coward related. "When I
rushed over to Targé to get more of these sets, I ran into people I'd chatted
with online. It was great to put some faces to the names."

Department store chain operators were taken by surprise. "I haven't seen a toy
this hot since 'Stearate Wars' came out last year," said Leo Pindery, general
manager for Targé, a French products and services company. "It just took off
overnight. We're lucky that we had overstock of this," said a PR flack for Tee
Are Ewe, which is either a chain of toy museums, or else a law firm.

Some fans point out that it's a more sobering matter. "These two, Todd Lehman
and Suzanne Rich, have done so much for us," referring to the pair who operate
LUGNET.com, "and I hope they're ok."