 Fun / 217
Re: Language fun (was Re: High Speed...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:55:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Andreas Stabno writes:
As much as I am consistently impressed with the mastery of English of our
ESL[1] members, I also enjoy reverse translating to see what the original
thought might have been.  So many good "word-turns" just can't be translated
well.

Oh, yes. That is a major problem for me, or at least used to be. At first I
would translate idioms and phrases, and no one would know what the hell I'm
talking about. ;-) ...now I'm pretty accustomed to English slang and
phrases, so it happens less, but instead I find myself sticking English
words in Hebrew sentences for lack of a suitiable translation. ;-)

I remember reading a humorous book that translated everything
literally from German to English.  I believe it was called "English for
Runaways" - Englisch für Fortgeschrittene.

Ahhh, those are good. My dad always used to laugh at the phrase "taking a
shower" which I confused with "doing a shower" or "showering" (the literal
translation of the Hebrew phrases). I would translate the English phrase
literally (at 6, when we came back to Israel) and he used to tell me,
"you're not picking up the bath and taking it with you!" <grin>

-Shiri