 FAQ / 679
Re: How to tell Cellulose Acetate from ABS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 18:13:23 GMT

Gary,

This is very good FAQ material!  Thanks!

Cheers,
- jsproat

Gary Istok wrote:

Chris Dee sent me a personal Email about Cellulose Acetate.  So here is
a reprint of my reply.  Gary Istok

___________________________

I was looking at some Cellulose Acetate windows yesterday, and I have to
say that some of the pieces (especially white) are a little difficult to
tell from ABS Lego.

The red pieces are probably the easiest to tell apart.  They are a
lighter color that has sort of an orange tint to it.  White bricks are
more difficult to tell apart, probably due to the lack of any color.
However the white bricks have a sort of "milky" hue.  Yellow and blue
Cellulose Acetate bricks are scarcer to find.  The Cellulose Acetate
yellow is lighter and more "lemon yellow" than the current yellow.  The
blue is hard to distinquish.  And grey or black Cellulose Acetate pieces
are very rare.

The easiest way to tell all Cellulose Acetate Lego from ABS is warping.
If you take a brick and turn it upside down, look at the 2 longest
straight edges of the brick bottom.  If there is a slight curve, you are
almost guaranteed to have Cellulose Acetate.  If 2 equal sized bricks
are put together, and there is any gap at all somewhere around the edges
where they connect, you have Cellulose Acetate.  If the windows or doors
have any warping at all (very common in Cellulose Acetate windows and
sloped bricks) then you have Cellulose Acetate.

Also the flat surfaces (including the flat area around the studs on top)
can also have some roughness (not wear) and uneven surfaces.

ABS plastic tends to keep its shape, even after 35 years.  So if your
Lego brick has a darker color and no warpage, then it must be ABS.

One thing I have noticed is that those large white plates (2x8, 4x8,
6x8) with the square holed bottom are almost always Cellulose Acetate.
And yet they don't warp much.  The square holed bottom must help
preserve the shape of the plates.

Gary Istok

.