 FAQ / 1318
Re: How cold can you go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 16:16:41 GMT

In lugnet.faq, David Schwanke wrote:
Ive just been told that I can have our porch as a Lego room all winter long.
Thing is that its not heated.

How cold can Lego's get?

My dad suggested that being they are 'just plastic' they could probably get
pretty darn cold.  You just probably wouldnt want to flex them when they are
super cold because they might snap.

Anyone know the temperature limitations and effects?

I kind of figured it would be in the FAQ but I couldnt find it.

Any knowledge would be greatly apreciated.

     ABS can handle cold temperatures reasonably well, but not all LEGO bricks
are made from ABS.  The transparent pieces are slightly brittle at room temp,
which makes me suspect that they're made of acrylic, and acrylic does not handle
cold well at all.  Below freezing temperatures make it so brittle that almost
any flexing will cause it to snap, and having it attached to a stud would likely
cause the base to split.  All that aside, if you live in an area that actually
sees snow on a regular basis, you probably won't want to stay out there and
build for very long anyways.  Building with thick gloves on is difficult, and
doing it without will have your fingers numb pretty quick.