 FAQ / 1264
Re: How to start on Lego® trains. What to buy? Which system? // For train FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 15:11:46 GMT

In article <H1oMJn.5yJ@lugnet.com>,
"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
First let me say a 'thank you' to all who left input.

To fit into the current organization of the train FAQ, I believe this is
suggesting additions or rewrites to several existing FAQ entries:

I've made a first pass at adding the jist of this thread into the FAQ. You
can view the results most easily by reading through the first few entries
here:

http://www.lugnet.com/~330/FAQ/Trains/all

If you have ideas to improve this, please let me know.

Thanks

Cary

Wow, that looks great. A few corrections/comments

Will the current 9V trains soon become obsolete?
From Larry Pieniazek: !

All LEGO trains, including 4.5V, 12V, and 9V, use the same gauge. This has
remained unchanged for over 30 years. It¹s unlikely to change soon.

From Matthew Bates: !

The 12V system was an afterthought to the original 4.5V battery trains and
was not terribly reliable. LEGO introduced more flexible 9V components in the
late 80¹s. By converting trains over to this system they made all their
electrical elements interchangeable. They also improved the train motors by
using spring-loaded conducting flanges on the wheels, which provides a more
reliable contact than the 12V system, which relied on gravity alone.

The above is from the FAQ, and I don't thing the last line is correct. I
don't have my 12v motor handy (still haven't unpacked since the move),
but I think the brass contacts on the motor are spring loaded. However,
this doesn't change the fact that 12v weren't particularly reliable.

Where are some good general train websites?
From Mark de Kock: !

Try the NGLTC¹s Train Depot. It¹s great!
http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/

From Larry Pieniazek: !

Here are some other good ones:
http://www.pnltc.org/
http://my.voyager.net/lar/lego.html
http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/traincreations.html
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/9639/trains.html
http://members.nbci.com/robstorm/

From Cary Clark:

And a few more:
http://www.baylug.org/train/
http://homepage.mac.com/cjmasi/~lego/lego.htm
http://www.lightlink.com/demlow/trains/

Wow, I made the FAQ, cool. Apple's iTools switched to a pay service, so
I moved my site to http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/ since I was paying
for this service anyway. The site is in a bit of disrepair right now
because I had to shrink it to fit it in my 10 MB limit.

How do I make remote-controlled points (switching rails)?
From Ben Fleskes: !

I use a small technic pneumatic cylinder with a modified switch track. I
modified a switch track using Steve Barile¹s instructions on the PNLTC web
page. This change took at most five minutes and I found it very easy with an
exacto knife as my only tool. After the modifcation, the switch could easily
be switched from one position to the next with little resistance.

To build the pneumatic switch, you will need the following parts:
(1) small technic cylinder
(1) 1x2x1 brick with side peg
(1) gray technic connector peg
(1) modified switch track
Pneumatic hoses, valve and a pump.

1. Place the gray technic connector peg on the small yellow extension on the
switch track activator arm. This is a friction connection.
2. Connect the 1x2x1 brick with side peg to the base of the small pneumatic
cylinder.
3. Connect the cylinder and brick to the gray technic connector peg on the
yellow switch arm, with the 1x2x1 brick with side peg on the side closest to
the track. Press the 1x2 down to the base of the switch track, immediately
adjacent to the track.
4. Connect hoses, valve and pump and you are done.
I¹ve found this to be very reliable and simple solution that takes up very
little additonal space outside the base of the switch track.

From Christopher Masi: !

Here¹s my design, which copies some features found on other automated points.
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/tech/pointsmarkii/points.htm

From Wessel Burgers: !

And here are the building instructions for my automated 9V points.
http://www.wez.myweb.nl/points1.htm

Wow, I made the FAQ again. Again, the url needs to be changed.

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/tech/pointsmarkii/points.htm

Good job on the FAQ, I'll put a link from my site once I have time to
fix it (my site that is)!

Chris