 Events / NWBrickCon / 250
Re: RC Racing at NWBrickCon™ 2004!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:07:08 GMT

As Wayne amswered below, ^any^ car using strictly LEGO elements qualifies, so have at it! Also, my intention is to hold mixed class races: (1) ime, skill usually overrides size in R/C racing, (2) as there are several available LEGO platforms out there, we have no control over who wishes to enter which one, and (3) I’d like to offer single prizes for First, Second, and Third place. Now, IF registerations merit we can indeed split cars into size classes, I’ll certainly consider this.

dp

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Wayne R. Hussey wrote:
   In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Tony Hafner wrote:
   In lugnet.events, Wayne R. Hussey wrote:
   A first ever course for racing LEGO® RC Cars will be at the NWBrickCon™ 2004.

   If you have ever wanted to test your car and skill against others (or just against yourself), build your LEGO® based car (no non-LEGO® components will be accepted for competition) and bring it to the Con.

Is this limited to any specific Lego RC technology? I know of at least 3 different RC systems (the older radio controlled car, the IR manas and race car, and the more recent Radio Shack radio controlled car). Additionally, you could build a RCX-based car and control it in various ways (Mindstorms remote, another RCX, or an IR controller)... though I’m not sure about what kind of range those give.

If all of these are allowed, will there be separate categories?

AndroDan
   Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

I am answering this on behalf of Dan P. and since it is his event, he may have different comments and should be consulted directly via his email as given in the original post. The following is how I interpret the answer to this question based on earlier conversations:

We think that the most influential part of these races will be the drivers. We would like to limit the entrants to using pure LEGO® RC technology, but if you can make something fast and contollable from the IR or RCX stuff, by all means give it a whirl. The course will have a couple of over/unders that may disrupt IR control (something to keep in mind).

As for LEGO® RC technology, you may not be aware of the newer RC sets currently available through LEGO Direct and at the LEGO Stores. Here are a few of the RC sets that are recent.

The primary limitation (for competing) is that your vehicle(s) is(are) made of pure LEGO® components.

Wayne

NWBrickCon™