 Events / NWBrickCon / 202
Re: Biomechanical Bricks Tour Redux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.nwbrickcon
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:03:30 GMT

In lugnet.events.nwbrickcon, Eric Sophie wrote:

<big snip, snips abound thruout>

   We went back to Tim’s and checked out his MOCs and I got a chance to interview him. Tim was well spoken and honest about his Lego experiences as well as showing us bout his MOCs. Tim has some really great MOCs.

What!? Tim Courtney has MOCs? Noooooo.... :-)

   I made it to Xcalabur’s Lair!!! Hi Chris, Hi Eric, Hi Christi.

(And I left with him)

   Bricks on the Brain and good music in the CD player we pressed on to the Bad lands of South Dakota.

You forgot the part about the Adair watertower. :-)

   We made it through Wiscosin

Forgive the man, he means Wyoming. We apologize to all AFOLs in both the great state of Wyoming and the great state of Wisconsin. :-)

, Montana, Idaho, to name a few states. I
   inflicted musical shock to the Iowan bumkin. The MC dolled out one lesson at a track. It was embraced and funkified by the fellow Hall of Fammer’s tonal pleasure centers. Audibly that is.

Bumkin?! I was digging it clear up til Mr. Bungle. Look at your tape, you get my response that’s not fit for family forum. :-)

   And finally a Home Cooked Meal!!!! Thank you Raven!

Much, much, MUCH thanks. Eric’s food stash and convenience store burritos were getting old.

   After a long days work we all met up at Jon Palmer’s apartment. The cool thing was, when Jon is at home, he moves things around with his mind. Popping bottle tops with his thoughts, the Computer MC kept the mood while we did the rake through his ABS.

Ja, it’s insane. I was the first one to notice it too, so it’s kind of old hat with me. But others still get a kick out of it. :-)

   BTW, did I mention he has a cool car!

You forgot drives like a madman. :-)

   Tom Rafert’s Earthen Layout was very well done. He had a lot of turf to defend. Luckily his son had the same guile as his father and helped out to defend. Tom said that he was particularly proud of the trees in getting the design just right. They both helped me pack up my Saturn at the end of the Con as well as helping to get the Mosaic of the USA in order.

For me too, thanks again. That thing was massive. If I can make it to the con next year, you may just have some help to defend from the evils of .space (don’t tell them I said that :-).

   I got it on record! Our great friend Larry P. daringly said: “...the Moon base layout is as cool as the Train layout and may even rival it in size...”

I was a witness to this act. Damn near wet myself. :-)

   I suggested that we all hug Larry and even charge the Fans a nickel to hug him. Supplemented by the more lasting experience the “Larry Moment” (TM) for a dime.

I like this idea. What say Larry, should they set up a booth for you in Portland? :-)

   I gotta say, I also had a great time with my dear old friend Derek Schin, besides being 15 feet tall, he’s a great guy, even if he is like 19 and a half feet tall. Not bad for a 20 footer. I told him if his knees itch, a bunch of us will stand on each other’s shoulders and scratch em’.

What a nice 24 foot tall man.

It was great for me to meet that guy too. Tall as trees, and has a sweet bike. Derek, you rule.

   Speaking of Cool Ships! Duane Husby had a really cool light sensor and motor agitated Pirate Ship battle scene between two ships! Plus we had some great convos about Tech and robotics. I really appreciated that. His wife Alexandria loved everyone’s creations and took a great many pictures. Then we took a great many pictures of her!

Aye, that we did, didn’t we mate? Beautiful women always up the brickshelf hit counts. :-)

   We took a drunken revelry picture for him in his honor.

What a fun night that was...

   Todd captured the FUNNIEST look on David Schilling’s face as he looked into the cloud of smoke spewed by Mt. Eruptus; the Moon base module by Gary Macintire (sp?).

Dave’s expression is classic. He has this mile wide smile that is so well....Dave Schilling it’s the best thing on earth next to smashed Mega Blocks.

Great Mickey Mouse smile, Dave. :-)

   Along side him is an unnamed Asian man with an equally funny look on his face...referred to as the “EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeee” Expression, you are sure to keel over and blast open your flight suit from the bottom upon looking at the goofy expressions of these two men.

Aaah, the EEEEEEeeeee guy...Todd, people gotta see that fella.

   Thing is its either the smoke from Mt. Eruptus or the sheer coolness of sticking a smoke machine from a night club into your MOC. It might be both.

Proof that it’s the former:

   Mark Neumann deserved some rest, and yet he seemed ready to do it all over again. Well maybe at least by next week! The man seemed so enthusiastic and yet so dedicated to his family in an equally admirable way. Hats off.

Big time. Mark, you made it happen. ‘Twas schweet, verily.

   Chris and I hit the road Monday night at almost 11:00pm (PST) we were determined to get Chris back in time for a class on Wednesday in Ottumwa, Iowa. We made great time driving continuously until we hit a rest stop in South Dakota. We met a fellow driver at the Gas Station. She was cleaning her windshield like we were and asked us how many miles or hours drive to Billings Montana it was. I told her the good news was that I hit every bug on my windshield the entire way and that she would not need to clean her windows when she got there. Heh heh.

Then it occurred to Chris and I, 1. Babe on the road.
2. Camera in hand.
3. Giant Technic Beam.
= Photo Opp!

Now *that* is a highlight of the trip. Not every day do two road-tired, unshaven, rank guys convince a young woman to pose with a giant lego brick at a gas station at midnight. Hats off to her, whoever she was. :-)

   We got back to Iowa in time to shower and get Chris back to classes. Chris calculated something like 1900 miles in 35-37 hours of driving. Hellacious is the word that comes to mind.

We rule.

   I rested while Chris was at class. I thought of all the miles in between and of the memories of the road trip. The night stars and the giant dead skunk we hit on the road. It promptly exploded at 80 mph. I got the blood stains on the Saturn to prove it.

That part wasn’t fun. Biggest skunk I ever saw. Makes you think I could have avoided hitting it.

   We said our goodbyes then went down to the local pub. We’re talking farmland here, and it was a small watering hole. Cozy with Juke Box full of Country Music and a Pool Table.

Gotta give props to the North End Tavern in Lovilia, IA. That’s my place. :-)

   Chris, his Roommate Christi and I sat for a drink. Then a local to my right by the name of “Danny” invited us to a match Pool game. Heavy Iowan draw to his voice he said...

“I just came down here to have a drink and socialize a bit...” We took him up on the pool game and set up the Juke Box. I then broke out the video camera and interviewed a quite drunk Danny, the local Iowan. He was a good sport.”...Legos is part of the great American way....” he said. He also liked Tonka.

Ahh, Danny. I can’t remember how many times I’ve met him and he’s had no clue who I am. :-)

   I must say that meeting Chris in person was such a great experience. He is as smart as he is quick. I enjoyed his company completely. I am proud to call him friend.

I know that anytime I 42 skiddo, I got a road buddy. Thanks Chris.

Likewise brother. It was awesome. Once in a lifetime experience. Great times.