 Events / BricksWest / 679
Re: Robotics round table at BrickWest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:45:49 GMT

David,

Thanks for the response.  My primary interest at this time is with
alternative LEGO Mindstorm software like brickOS. I was interested what if
any was discussed with these. But as you mention I also have a general
interest in robots along with embedded systems, control systems and theory,
auto-code generation.  Thanks again for this report.

Ed

David Schilling <davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Ed Manlove writes:
I am interested in the discussion at the robotics round table at • BrickWest
2003. What type of ideas, themes, issues were discussed?

--
Ed Manlove
emanlove@eclipse.net

Because the animation festival and closing/awards ceremony went quite late
the night before, and the robotics round table was scheduled early the • next
morning, we ended up starting fairly late, and not too many people showed
up. (I have a feeling some of the other round tables didn't happen at • all.)

Most of the time we had left was taken introducing ourselves, and our
interestes in robotics. We did discuss was some alternatives to LEGO's
Mindstorm kit, and the First Lego League robotics competition. There were • a
lot of other topics that were breifly covered, mostly in the course of
introductions. What makes a good competition? Why is it so hard to get
people 'into' robotics? Are there too many robotic books? etc.

Next year we'll have to make sure that the schedule allows for a longer • and
better-attended round table.

--
  David Schilling