 Events / BricksWest / 673
672  |  674
Subject:
BricksWest 2003 Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 04:44:15 GMT

BricksWest Comments:

Was there a Feedback Questionnaire? If so I missed it. Please send if available.

First: BricksWest 2003 was generally GREAT! Even better than last year!

Things we liked in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1) The Technic Diner was a FAR SUPERIOR venue, even if a bit cramped,
compared to the "Grand Pavilion" aka glorified tent. If LL is serious about
hosting major/growing conventions, (BW grew 50% this year) medium to large
corporate or similar events, they need to upgrade the pavilion to at least
the level of the Diner, or replace it  with an in-Park multi-purpose
conference/exhibit facility.

Diner advantages: temperature controlled, relatively WATERTIGHT, regular
building, w/interesting architecture and interior, superior windows, view
in/out of Technic Coaster major attraction with its own interior restrooms,
and obviously food prep area we didn't use. The Diner was a better location
overall, while not on the main park loop, but also not  hidden like the
pavilion. Would likely have seen even more traffic if back walkway to/from
Castle Hill was open.  Maybe the key here is to have a building that
combines the Diner features (food, restrooms, architecture, location) with
the Pavilion's display space?

2) Water and food/fruit for exhibitor setup. A nice touch  LL didn't have to
provide. Thanks!

3) Dinner salad was good.

4) Sessions were GREAT across the board.

5) Video camera for SNOT Panel provided on the spot by Steve Putz, the
FLL guy. Thanks Steve, it was a HUGE advantage, and that type of display
should be available for all sessions next year. Did you happen to  record
what was being displayed in real time as well?

6) Keynote was wonderful, even if we didn't get new train track geometry. It
was clear they are listening pretty well.

7) Return to "Create with basic elements" theme was wonderful. Glad they are
stressing imagination and innovation. Partnerships and Licensing seems to be
well aligned to advance the theme as well.

8) 400 Bulk brick buy options sound like a dream come true. (Larry missed
this INCREDIBLE tidbit in the notes, as it was in the roundtableSunday and
there were no notes I guess.)

9) More Clear corner slopes! And more clear everything! Or maybe just more
"model shop only" parts prizes?? Yum.

Things that may need "adjusting":

A) Dinner Buffet logistics: How about a 2 SIDED buffet table? If you have to
make your own sandwich AND your own salad, it takes FOREVER! (instead of
selecting premade-presliced long sandwiches, etc.)

B) Dinner Food: Fare seemed more like a lunch than a dinner. Hot soup was
nice. How about a hot entrée or Pasta?

C) Dinner Seating. Insufficient table space.

D) Animation Festival: Limit entries to say 5-6 minutes MAX.
Separate "Original scripts" or modified/take-offs/spoofs, from Movie/TV
remakes. Consider a separate category for "Movie Remakes" like Christmas
Carol, etc. that could be longer than 6 minutes and NOT part of
general"prime time" festival. Don't expect attendees to sit through 6 @ 10
to 15 minute films!

E) Change Animation Festival name to "Film Festival" to be more inclusive
and add categories for things like: Time Lapse Builds, "Live action" films
related to Lego, like Eric's Mecha bit, or Train Shows film from clubs,
Legoland Billund tours, etc.

F) Better definition of what to expect on RC Offroad race course. Would have
changed our car design and testing if we knew more about what the course
involved.

G) Conference chairs were PRETTY HARD on the POSTERIOR.

H) More chairs in pavilion/diner for exhibitors/visitors.  I know there were
tons around, we just didn't get many out I guess.

I) Need better projection screens for sessions than a bed sheet(!) or the
wall with intruding emergency lights for session presentations.

J) Have an option for two projectors for the session areas. One for slides,
one for Live Video. See # 5 above. Maybe one spare projector that could be
shared between the two session areas as
required.

K) Brownies/cookies ran out at dinner before everyone (like me) had had
first helpings even!

L) Have a riser (at least 4x8 ft) for the Keynote, etc. main "room" speakers
to elevate above attendees for better  bi-directional visibility.

M) More Panel Sessions on "How to" and other topics. SNOT Panel was very
interactive, and had good attendance for the first one of the morning.

N) Don't start K8 trading SO LATE on Friday.

O) Don't let anyone with the last name of "Paul" enter ANY contests or win
anything!

P) Make (it clear that) the 2 day LL passes good for any combination of any
2 days during the 4 day event, including Monday.

Q) Get better Karaoke singers! (just kidding!)

Again these are (mostly) not criticisms, just suggestions  for improvements.
Sure I'll think of more good and otherwise...
Again, Ross and I, and family had a great time.

See you next year!
Mark Benz
BayLUG/BayLTC