 Events / BrickFest / 3747 (-20)
  Re: BrickFest 2007 location

(...) Jordan, I do not mean to speak for Christina or the BrickFest 2007 Staff but I do have a few comments: Other venues outside of Washington will be explored. Many fans have brought up the fact that a centralized location could cut down driving (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Joe's number for public attendance was (URL) 3000>. I thought admission was $7, for a total of $21000, but if admission was $10, that makes $30000. (...) I am curious about that. Who are the owners of the Brickfest trademark and how much are (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Anthony, I appreciate your attempts to calculate the amount of hours an organizer might put into an event. Indeed it is difficult to fathom the number of hours a person is willing to contribute to something. Allow me a moment to quantify the (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Marc, Yes, volunteers pay their full way. In the spirit of full disclosure, as an organizer, I recevied one embroidered shirt from Joe as part of an effort to place all coordinators in one common, distinctive shirt, so that they could be (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: My BrickFest Photos

(...) Hi Don and all, I finally uploaded all my brickfest photos on brickshelf too .. a lot of work required as they all needed to be resized. Do check them out too! (URL) too had a great time at Brickfest 2006! cheers, "THE" Diana dvirus (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  BrickFest 2007 location

A small contingent of folks expressed interest in moving BrickFest to Indianapolis next year due to its several positive factors: - It is closer to the many AFOLs who don't live on or near the east coast. - It is cheaper to get a hotel room than in (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I was the one who came up with thousands of hours, and I actually thought about it before writing it which is a bit unusual with me. I was thinking of Christina's total input of hours for the last 5 or is it 6 years. And I would bet she has (...) (18 years ago, 12-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

I've been reading this dicussion, and have a few thoughts: First off, a consideration of what the event coordinator has to put in: - A fair bit of time, sure, not 1000s of hours (for one event), 1000s of hours is a full time job... Hundreds of hours (...) (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Flattery Will Get You Nowhere (Was: BrickFest Registration Fees)

Folks, 'Sbeen a little while since I've been in here, and I must say, honestly I can't leave you kids alone for a second! :) I've decided to reply to Anthony's post, not because my words are necessarily directed at him, but because...well, I'm not (...) (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  My BrickFest Photos

My Brickfest Photos: (URL) you enjoy viewing these as much as I did taking them and being there. -- Don GtwLUG Lugnet#1239 St. Louis, Mo., USA (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest) !

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) That's fine. More food and walking space for the rest of us. (18 years ago, 11-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Joe, thanks for the info-note. I'm honestly one of those who believe that organizers should be compensated, at least 100% of their expenses (including mileage, phone, plane, etc), but I also hope that Brickfest can start maintaining a "cash (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Well Anthony, I am sorry you feel that way, but I will tell you from my own personal experience that I, as a strong participant in AFOL events, have helped arrange, coordinate, setup, present, book, organize, and generally help any way I can. (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX) !

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) Anthony, I was the one who made that statement about thousands of hours, and if you look at it, I was saying thousands for Christina, hundreds for Joe. I was talking about cumulative hours for Christina, and feel confident that over all the (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) Where do you get these ideas? They're *opinions*, not fact. Of course staffing a convention can be employment. It doesn't *have* to be payment-free or volunteer work. And event money *can* go to paying staff. Do you not understand that (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) Yeah, I mean geez, I spent almost $125 on gas for the 2250 miles of driving I did to/from/around BF, so the $60 in reg was piddling. Not to mention I saved more than the reg fees Thurs night at the Lego store by far ;-) And the buffet during (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees

(...) I don't think anyone got paid, but if they did, I wouldn't be upset. (...) *"Just"*? You really have no clue whatsoever on the difficulty of organizing such an event, do you? Until you do it yourself (on BF's current scale), do NOT complain (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

This reply is not targeted at Jake or any specific person. It was just convenient to reply to Jake's post. Well, I thought I'd be done with this thread, but it looks like I'm going to have to put out a fire before it explodes. I really don't want to (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

I am really sad that these comments about Brickfest and if Christina and/or Joe are keeping profits and if volunteers are being shafted while whomever is profiting from Brickfest are being spoken. At this point, I don't care. I HAVE attended BF for (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)

(...) I can understand this, but at the end of the day there are benefits in both models: 1. A for-profit has an economic incentive to continue developing positive, fulfilling events. 2. A non-profit model had a higher chance of powering through (...) (18 years ago, 10-Sep-06, to lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact