 Events / BrickFest / 3719
Re: BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 23:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.events, Magnus Lauglo wrote:
   Jeff, Marc and all,

By all means, let’s have a frank, honest, transparent and civil discussion about this stuff now.

My understanding is that the public days bring in (a projected amount of) money that helps keeping registration at the level it is. Whether or not you like the public expo element of the event, surely you recognize that without it, the costs of running the event would be greater and ticket price would likely go up.

I’m not convinced of this at all. My estimations of the amount of money coming in does not match up with information I have been able to glean on costs. I am not privy to the financial details, and could be wrong, but I still have my suspicions.

   I’m not privy to the details of how other comparable conventions manage to charge so little, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it involved corporate sponsorship. While TLC has had an increased (and very much IMO welcomed) presence at Brickfest over past years, I don’t think BrickFest should get to the point where it becomes financially dependent on the company.

Jeff, as someone who is involved in anime fan community, if you could find out how exactly they are able to keep costs low that would be useful. If there are any ways to make this kind of event cheaper, (short of corprorate sponsorhip) that BF organizers are unaware of, then let’s try to find out about them.

I realize that not everyone can afford to attend BrickFest but I don’t think that $60 for a three day event is expensive at all. In the hands of less competant, or more financially motivated organizers, an event like this could easily cost a couple of hundred bucks.

Only large anime conventions can get corporate sponsorship/donations, and even then it is a small percentage of total income. The anime studios suffering financial difficulties right now for the most part, so even those are lower now, as I understand it. The major sources of income are registration fees (full price normally about $45-$55, but pre-registration fees can be as low as $35) and dealer’s room fees, which tend to run between $100 and $1000 depending on the size of the convention. BF charged $15-20. T-shirts, pins, buttons, etc. are pretty much a negligble source of income. Many anime conventions run in the red for the first few years, although that may be changing since now even the smallest conventions generally get 750-1250 attendees.

The major expenses of anime conventions are the venue, equipment rentals, and guests. In the past, the GMU site has been dirt cheap for us, and I know we were comp’ed at least some of the venue space at the Sheraton this year. Equipment is very costly for anime conventions, because they need to rent AV equipment for every room (4-8 rooms for smaller conventions, upwards of 20 for larger), including projectors, speakers, DVD players, largescreen televisions, etc. BF had one or two projectors (and couldn’t have really used more than four or five), plus at least one person brought their own this year, and I brought one last year, but these were for specific uses, not geneal allocation. Anime conventions don’t have anything like a public day, so they don’t get that sort of income. I’d estimate it brought in about the same amount as regular membership did at BF, give or take 10%. The other major expense is guests. They pay for the flights, room (including usually at least one extra day for siteseeing), and meals. I have no information on whether BF did this or not, but I suspect Lego paid for all Lego employees. If BF *did* pay for any guests, I hope it was no more than the keynote speaker, since the event (IMO) is not large enough to support a lot of guests.

In addition to that, the convention does pay for the hotel rooms of staff and volunteers (who are frequently packed 4 to a room to save money). Staff and volunteers also get in free since they are generally there working rather than enjoying themselves. One of the ways many younger attendees have been able to afford it is by volunteering, which allows them to save the expense of reg and room, but they have to work for 8 hours each day (usually running video rooms or acting as gophers). BF had nothing like this. All volunteers and theme coordinators had to pay registration and the cost of the room, unless they were local or made other arrangements.

Finally, absolutely no reputable anime convention pays any sort of compensation to the staffmembers or conchair. Every anime con staffer I’ve spoken to has gotten a look of disgust on their face when that is mentioned. There are many reasons people staff anime conventions (usually love of the hobby or to be an important member of the community), but money is not one of the reasons.

Recieving any sort of salary or wage, IMO, amounts pretty much to embezzling and if I ever confirmed it was happening at any convention I attend, I would immediately stop.

Jeff