 Events / BrickFest / 3690
3689  |  3691
Subject:
BrickFest registration fees (was: LEGO Adult Fan Convention at Legoland California?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 04:42:52 GMT

In lugnet.events, Tommy Armstrong wrote:

snip

   6. One of the main things is not to be afraid to charge enough for registration to cover the costs of the event. Going to a real BrickFest Convention is a big deal. It really blows my mind that people actually complain about the cost of the registration. Somehow they come up with enough money to spend hundreds at the LEGO Store, and yet complain about $20/day for the registration. Gimme a break. The cost of the registration is less than most large LEGO kits.

I guess I’m one of those people - not that I complained, I just didn’t go because I couldn’t afford it. The last BF I went to (in ‘04), I probably spent around $125 total for registration, t-shirts, and bricks, and I doubt I’ve ever spent more than $200 at a BF. So I’m not complaining just to complain, the cost is actually a dealbreaker for me. I was hoping to volunteer at this year’s event and attend at a free or reduced rate, but I was told that volunteers had to pay full price for registration.

Is it really a problem that BF isn’t charging enough for registration? By my math, BF took in about $24K from registration fees and $21K from the public, plus a few bucks from merchandise sales and seller fees, but lets say $45K total. If the exhibit space was free with the room reservations, what do you need all that money for? My wife does a lot of event planning for a nonprofit, and she couldn’t figure it out.

I’m sorry if anyone takes offense at these questions, but I know other AFOLs are asking the same thing.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations