 Events / BrickFest / 3155
Re: Hanging asteroids (was: Re: Announcing the great Asteroid MOC Contest!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 03:29:44 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Phillip Thorne wrote:
   David Gregory wrote in late April:

   If we make an astroid with a place on top to suspend it by fishing line, will there be a way to hang them there at GMU? (snip)

Space co-coordinator Daniel Rubin replied:
   That’s an interesting idea. I’ll look at the ceiling next time I’m there (in a couple weeks). (snip)

My suggestion: rather than hanging each individual asteroid from the ceiling, which would entail much climbing on ladders (8 feet? 10?), construct a framework to hang at 5-7 feet, and hang the asteroids from *that*. The frame and its suspension (twine? fishing line? wire?) can be hung and weight-tested beforehand. (And yank-tested.) Transparent plastic would look nice (but pricy); or PVC tubing; but Znap would probably suffice. Znap provides plenty of holes for hooks or whatnot, and it’s easy to rearrange the display pieces -- certainly easier than fiddling with the ceiling.

Extra bonus: a black backdrop can be hung over the top and/or sides of the framework, for photographic purposes. Not necessarily permanently; it can be removed to maximize viewing angles.

So, how’s the relevant ceiling, Dan? And what does Facilities say about fiddling with ceiling tiles?
  • attendees* might be trusted to walk *between* the MOCs, but I

You could set up all the hang points in advance, and just hang paper clips as placeholders until the asteroids show up. There are all sorts of devices for hanging things from acoustic tiles - a bunch of these would break up the grid and allow for movement.

The black backdrop would be really nice for pictures.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations