 Events / BrickFest / 2589
2588  |  2590
Subject:
BrickFest DC 2004 Model Train Contest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:03:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

As in past years, there will be a train MOC contest. I figure everyone knows what the train contest is, since it has been a BrickFest staple for many years. But in an effort to better inform everyone about the rules for the contest I have included a simple description of the rules and judging factors below.

But we do need help to pull this off! We need both prizes and judges. Prizes can be just about anything, but preferably they should be Lego and train oriented. Just a note - if you want your name mentioned as an advertisement or just a pat on the back when the prize is handed out, just let me know and I will take care of it. Be sure to include the price of the prize! We are also in need of judges! If you would like to help out, please let me know. Judging will occur on Saturday night, or Sunday morning depending on what works best for you.

If you would like to pre-register you model, please send me a note including your name, the model(s) and the categories you want it to compete in.

Lewis Valentine
traincontest@nitorco.com

Model Factors Models will be judged according to the following four factors:
* Lego Purity - To what extent does the model use non-Lego or modified parts. (BBB wheels are classified as non-Lego bricks.) Consideration will be given to parts that can not be reasonably fashioned with Lego parts. 1 to 10 scale with 10 being only Lego un-modified parts.
* Functionality - Does the object work. (for example a train must handle the tight Lego curves) 1 to 10 scale trains with 1 being a train that cannot move (for an engine it must move under its own power, a powered tender and a un-powered engine is allowed) to a 10 which is a train that operates well in all track conditions.
* Technical Merit - The complexity and ingenuity of the design. This may include SNOT construction techniques and the complexities of the design itself (i.e. articulation method). 1 is the least complex 10 being the most.
* Appearance - The overall effect of the engine. How well are the items liked and if it is modeled after a real world item, how well does it match that item. 1 to 10 with 10 being the best.
Winners will be determined by totaling the scores for each factor. The MOC with the highest score is first place, second highest is second place, etc…

Model Categories Models will be judged in four different categories. All categories will be determined by a set of judges according to the model factors, except for the show favorite which will be determined via vote from other attendees.
* Show Favorite - Any train MOC, no matter if they won in another category.
* Best Engine
* Best Rolling Stock
* Best Structure or accessory - Any building, or structure that is not included in a scene.
* Best Scene - A group of buildings or layout that is meant to be put together. For example this may be a town.

Qualifications for entering a MOC
* The builder of the model must be an attendee of BrickFest DC 2004. No proxies. Please be honest - this rule will be hard to monitor, so please if a model is from a non-attendee mark it so the judges know. This rule is to be fair for those who have taken time and money to come to BrickFest.
* The model must be train or town-related.
* Pre-registration is not required, but is highly recommended. Due to the way that things are moved around during a fest this will be the only sure way of entering your MOC. If you do not pre-register the standard BrickFest MOC will suffice. With any model the MOC card must be displayed next to your MOC.
* All entries must be registered or with their MOC card by 5pm on Saturday.

Judges
* Each category will have at minimum three judges.
* Judges must not have entries in the category they are judging.