 Events / BrickFest / 2477
Re: Brickfest 2004 Animation Contest announcement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.animation, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 01:42:13 GMT

Crosspost to .announce and XFUT to lugnet.events.brickfest.

In lugnet.animation, Robert Graff wrote:
Greetings.

I will try to answer all the questions that this thread generates, however many
of your concerns may have already been addressed at the Brickfilms.com forums:
http://www.brickfilms.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3983

Please note that I am posting on behalf of the organizer, Josh Leasure; also at
brickfilms.com. I am not affiliated with Brickfest in any way.

The theme of this contest will be "High Adventure Theatre". This is not as
specific as it might seem. The only requirement is that a character or
characters must partake in some sort of adventure in your film. After that, it's
totally up to your imagination. Any genre is fair game, whether it be space,
cliffhangers, cavemen, hitmen, airplanes, boatplanes, pirates, gangsters, or
brickfilm noir.

There is no minimum time limit, but the maximum time limit will be 10 minutes.

There will be two sections of the competition, the on-line portion and the
BrickFest portion. Each will have its own set of prizes and system of judging.
The same films will be in both sections, you need not submit separate films.

Because the films will be shown to a live, family-oriented audience, there must
be a restriction on content. Language needs to be kept clean, and extreme
violence isn't permissible. Overtly sexual content needs to be kept out as well.

As with our previous contests, entries may not be made public before the contest
deadline.

The films will be compiled onto an official Brickfilms/BrickFest DVD which will
be sold at the festival and afterwards from the Brickfilms website. The price
will be relatively low, with the aim of recovering the costs of production and
contest prizes.

BrickFest will take place August 13th-15th. The due date for all entries will be
Monday, August 2nd.

Because the entries will be going onto a DVD, entrants will be encouraged to
submit, in one way or another, a high-quality version of their films. Ideally,
an MPEG-2 format version on CD would be submitted, but of course geographic
distance and technical issues will make this impossible for some people.
Ultimately we'll do the best we can with what we have.

Because the DVD will be distributed and sold, all portions of your film must be
legal for distribution. Any footage or music you include must not be restricted
by copyright. The same goes for your story and characters, they can't be
copyrighted by someone else.

For the on-line portion of the competition, at least one version of your entry
must conform to this standard:

-RealMedia (Helix) compression using RealProducer or RealAnime
-No more than 3 megabytes per minute of film

If you want to release DivX, Quicktime, or WMV versions in addition to the RM
version, you are free to do so. But you must submit at least one RM version.

At least half of any entry must be stop-motion animation. Other forms of
animation are permissible, provided they don't constitute a majority of the
film.

Because this event includes BrickFest and not just Brickfilms, content
restrictions will need to be narrowed to require the inclusion of Lego bricks.
In fact, Lego bricks will need to be emphasized. This does not exclude other
brands, but they should take a second place to Lego brand components.

Inclusion on the DVD is not in any way compulsory. If you are unhappy with the
site selling your work without any compensation, it's perfectly acceptable to
submit an entry and specify that you'd like your film left off the DVD.

Entries should be submitted as a working link to the film to:
joshua@revmen.com
by August 2, 2004

Thanks, Robert, for posting this on behalf of Josh. This is exciting news and it
sounds like the team has selected a great theme! I hope we'll see lots of great
entries... I look forward to purchasing a DVD to share with my friends.

Larry Pieniazek
Brickfest DC 2004 Display Coordinator
Have you made your travel plans yet?
See you in DC!