 Events / BrickFest / 2332
2331  |  2333
Subject:
My BrickFest moments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:18:44 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi-

Inspired by Jake’s post some months back for “great LEGO moments”, here’s a list of personal moments from BrickFest PDX 2004:

1. Checking in at LAX with 7 travel cases (plus carry ons), the agent asks “What’s in the bag?”. I say “LEGO”. Next thing I see, she is placing 10 “Fragile” stickers on one bag and explaining “My kids like to build with LEGO too.”

2. Riding the MAX light rail from PDX to OCC. It’s hardly a 200 foot walk at either end. And the combined fares for 1 adult and 2 youths was $3.60.

3. Seeing that the real OCC looked almost as good as the model.

4. Opening the carefully packed 10 foot bridge and finding it in 100 pieces (I never said these would all be good moments).

5. Meeting a who guy walks up to me and says “Hi, I’m James”. Realizing a few minutes later it’s THAT James.

6. Meeting Matt Chiles.

7. Talking with Matt about the roller coaster.

8. Watching the roller coaster.

9. Watching the roller coaster for the 10th time.

10. Watching Thomas run DCC trains.

11. Getting the hotel and bridge reassembled.

12. Watching the film fest. Again.

13. Making a last moment decision to enter the mosaic build.

14. Assembling a mosaic in the speed build contest.

15. Getting a tour of Ben Fleske’s Millenium Falcon.

16. Checking out the incredible remote-controlled-everything crane.

17. Watching a volcano belch smoke -- all day long.

18. Meeting with some old friends from the Search for the Ultimate LEGO Creation Contest and the LEGO Star Wars Galactic Challenge.

19. Watching Thomas and David install sections in the giant mosaic that we built on site and brought from home.

20. Seeing the big mosaic go together.

21. Seeing Todd’s great stop motion recording of its world record time setting ISD assembly.

22. Discovering that the power had remained on overnight on Saturday and Sunday mornings so we never had to reload the hotel RCXs.

23. Getting Jake to autograph a copy of his new book.

24. Taking a prize for the hotel and bridge.

25. Watching David act like a kid when Steve tossed him a yellow LEGO helmet.

26. Packing up to leave in 1 hour 20 minutes after taking 7 days the first time.

27. Getting shut out at the Burgerville drive up window after having eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner there.

28. Shooting the moon in hearts to “win” the chance to go out into the rain to buy 4 milkshakes.

29. Seeing lots of soaked through people, but always managing to dodge the downpours ourselves.

30. Seeing the incredible forrest in the medieval scene.

31. Watching the soccer ball clock keep time.

32. Checking out all the great engines and rolling stock.

33. Reveling in the detail of Dan’s train segment.

34. Examing that fantastic ship.

35. Overhearing all the Sunday visitors who coudn’t decide whether they liked the hotel or the bridge better.

36. Determining that I would not be carrying home most of the 700+ Technic bricks I brought along to sell at the brick bazaar.

37. Finding the pieces that we needed in the brick bazaar to replace those we had accidently left at home.

38. Watching a bunch of bright people attempt to generate unique random numbers.

39. Watching Larry’s very knowledgeable and friendly son Nik.

40. Hearing Jeff Elliott describe his first 38 seconds at the throttle of two DCC trains.

41. Selling LEGO to a LEGO employee

42. Calling home to find out whether leaving a LEGO rose in a LEGO vase under a cover with a “Do not open until 02.14 sign” was a good thing or a bad thing (it was good thing).

43. Working out an LTC container exchange with a club in Melbourne. As in Australia.

44. Putting up an SCLTC banner in the train area. Remembering not to leave it behind.

45. Brainstorming ideas for LEGO film projects.

46. Learning about S.N.O.T. in German.

47. Dreaming about what bricks I would make if I were Ben and had my own mold.

48. Watching the world’s fastest ISD dissassembly and sharing the crowd’s reaction.

49. Lugging 11 things up to the Max station just as the train arrived. Except that we didn’t have tickets.

50. Realizing that there is another BrickFest only 6 months away.

-Ted