 Events / BrickFest / 2019
2018  |  2020
Subject:
Brickfest comments & photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:25:35 GMT

Photos first, if you are interested.

This was my first Brickfest.  It was fun to meet some of the folks who use
BricxCC for robots and for trains.  I had planned to enter the sumo competition
but I got way too busy with kids starting school and with work so I didn't bring
a robot with me.  Part of it was not knowing how to travel light and bring LEGO
along.  It was hard enough packing all the sets I bought at the outlet store to
bring home.  Anyway, I regret not bringing an entry.  It was lots of fun to
watch others compete.  Next time I'll plan and prepare a bit better.  Thanks a
bunch to John Barnes for all his hard work on the maze & sumo competitions and
to RTL for the pipe racers.

I also regret flying in Friday morning - which meant not arriving until about
2pm in the afternoon.  Flying out Sunday night wasn't too bad, except for that
part where I had to stay the night in Charlotte because of bad weather.  I
should have just planned on Thursday night through Sunday night in DC.  Oh,
well.

The train/town layout was incredible.  I spent a huge amount of time looking at
it.  Kudos to everyone involved!  I'm a train wannabe.  I've got a bit of track
and some basic train sets (My Own Train, Super Chief, Railway Express, Hogwarts
Express) - just no space to setup a proper layout.  It would be *very* nice to
have a LTC nearby (Middle Tennessee).  I'm intrigued by LDCC as well and wish I
hadn't missed all the sessions on the subject.  And I'm very interested in
possibly incorporating support for LDCC into Bricx Command Center.  I'd like to
maybe allow for running a script program within BricxCC which could send
commands or poll for data (which could be used against an RCX with standard
firmware installed or other firmwares - perhaps LDCC/LACC - which provide an
interactive API of some sort).

I also spent a lot of time looking at the MOCs in the Space room.  Wow!  If I
weren't completely intimidated by the impressive display of creativity I might
be tempted to try building my own space creations.

Anyway, Brickfest was a lot of fun.  I especially enjoyed the open to the public
part on Sunday.  Seeing so many kids enjoying the show was far more fun than
looking at the various displays myself.

Thanks to all the volunteers and organizers for putting on a great weekend.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm