 Events / BrickFest / 1979
Re: veni, vidi, vivus!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:46:36 GMT

•Some other comments:  This was my first Fest of this kind, and only my second
time ever meeting any AFOLs in person.  I pretty much spent the entire weekend
in a daze because I was overwhelmed in meeting so many new faces that supposedly
matched with names I had been writing to for five or eight years online.  This
feeling of being in a dream is why I may have seemed so removed.  But I was
having a good time, overall.  I really enjoyed all the in-jokes within Space and
the good-natured competition between the different themes.  And being able to
meet some of you was the best part.  I can't even begin to list all your names,
but Christina, Felix, Tim, Teddy, Lenny, Travis, just to name a few.  Oh and
that bathroom sign is the best!

The feeling was mutual!

There was a lot of discussion, both in and out of the presentations, about the
nature and future of the AFOL community and how Lego Direct is encouraging its
growth.  Hoping not to sound too negative, I must admit that my reaction to this
is a bit torn.  Everyone at BrickFest was very gung-ho to have more Fests and
more Events and attract more AFOLs into the hobby.  But, prior to this
experience, my take on the hobby is that it can be a very personal and private
thing.  I never had a Dark Age, so I have spent nearly twenty five years
building, and most of it was on my own.  As much as I loved this event, and love
that LD wants to help, a part of me wants to cling to the fact that building
Lego® has always been something I do on my own.  Free brick is nice and all, but
there's some gun-jumping going on if people are assuming that all AFOLs are in
this hobby looking for the same thing.

I don't think you're being pessimistic on this topic, Hendo.  You're very right.
We all get into this hobby for our own reasons.  But going out and getting in
the public isn't just about getting free stuff.  I know for Eric, he is an
artist and wants to display his work as much as possible.  I'm an educator, and
want to facilitate young imaginations.  But one of the biggest reasons is
because the people in this community (including you) are my friends and I want
to spend more time with them doing that thing we all love to do.  Who knows what
will become of things, but it'll be fun to try.

Glad to have met you, Hendo.  I hope you come out again.

-Felix