 Events / BrickFest / 1951
1950  |  1952
Subject:
Brickfest 2003 follow up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:27:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

All,

As I'm still procrastinating about unloading my mosaics from my car, I
thought I'd make a post about Brickfest 2003 (a "post" post, I guess).

First, and most importantly, of course: Thank you to Christina Hitchcock
, WAMALUG, and everyone else who helped create the Fest. It is an
amazing accomplishment and has reached a level of maturity and
participation that is exactly what I'm looking for in such an event. I
cannot even start to imagine the amount of time and stress involved in
such organization.

To Steve Barile and any others who run similar events, or are planning
to: Bravo. Regardless of what city they are into, what time of year, and
so forth, for anyone who decides to get involved in such an undertaking,
a round of applause is deserved.

For me the highlight of the event was Brick Bazaar. Though I did not buy
as much as some people, I'm sure (and I only spent $2.50 at the Outlet
store -- 1000 red tiles, man!), the Bazaar was one of the main
attractions for me at BF. The ability to go up to the third floor of GMU
and hunt about for any number of pieces was the closest I've come to
reliving that excitement I remeber having as a child when going to a toy
store to buy LEGO sets.

These days what sets are officially put out by LEGO is easily known
information, and for me, acquiring sets and pieces has become a fairly
routine process. Fortunately, this year, the week *before* Brickfest I
thought of about 4 new projects, so I came searching for particular
pieces. Even with the relatively small number of 'shops' at the Bazaar,
I was able to find much of what I needed. I can only imagine how
wonderful this aspect of Brickfest will be as the size of the Bazaar
grows (as I hope it does).

The 'public attendence' element on Sunday afternoon was also very
interesting. I was a little wary at first, as I'm sure the fest
organizers were, but I think that it was just the thing for Sunday
afternoon. By that time most of us at BF were pretty worn out. Travels,
late nights, and general mayhem had taken its toll on us, and since all
of the introductions and 'welcomes' were long past, a lot of us were
just lazing about on the third day.

The introduction of the public injected an unbelievable amount of energy
into this malaise. Surprisingly, the kids were very well behaved (no
small part due to the appropriate instructions given to them by Megan
(sp?) at the reception desk). It was great to see the K-8 room brimming
with creativity. Also, it was nice to see the reactions of people for
whom this whole notion of LEGO collecting/building/sculpting is brand new.

I hope that future fests will include this 'public' element, at just
this level.

Ok, also... just for the record. Those Space guys are freaking nuts! I
mean that in the best way possible.

I am horrible with remembering names (much less remembering what names
go with what faces), so at the next fest don't be surprised if you have
to re-introduce yourself to me all over again as I stare blankly at your
name badge. That said, this list of 'thanks/good to meet you' is likely
woefully inadequate. Cheers to:

- The organizers, as above.
- The people I see semi-regularly, remember, and like to think of as
friends even outside of LEGO fests: James T., Steve Barile, Christina
Hitchcock, Suzanne Green (good to meet husband, Jim), oh geez... now
I've forgotten others -- you know who you are.
- The LEGO employed folks: Brad, Jake, Kate, Torbon, Alex, and so on.
- Derek Schin
- Adrian Drake
- Ty Drayton
- everyone who showed up to my mosaic presentation
- Eric Sophie
- Jon Palmer [Parker!]
- the Bogers
- Chris Giddens (good to finally meet you)
- etc...

The whole experience was even better than hoped. I will be doing my best
to make it out to BrickFest-PDX in February; about 90% likely as of
now). And with the enjoyment I found at this year's East Coast
gathering, I may have to ignore my earlier rule of East Coast on odd
years, West Coast on evens. Good chance I'll try to make it to BF2004.

Hope this post finds all of the attendees safely back from travels. I'm
now going to finish what is undoubtedly my longest LUGNET post ever.

eric harshbarger