 Events / BrickFest / 1929
1928  |  1930
Subject:
Community Roundtable @ BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 03:42:58 GMT

Thanks to everyone who came out to the “What is the LEGO Community?” roundtable at BrickFest on Sunday! We had a great discussion that exceeded my expectations. I set out to provide a forum for you to talk with each other face-to-face about what the community means to you, and each of you had some incredible insights!

I jotted down some notes from the session, though I regret that I didn’t consistently record who said what. Here are a few highlights I wrote down. These are not my thoughts, but those of the people who came to the roundtable and put them up for us all to consider.
  • This [hobby, community, event...] can’t happen by way of a single individual. It happens because we’re all sharing our LEGO experiences with each other. (my thought here - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts)
  • The brick is the catalyst to build friendships and community
  • One person from TexLUG stood up and talked about how this was his first fest. He said there was an instantaneous bond, an acceptance, he felt when he walked in. We’re a diverse group of people, but the brick crosses boundaries and he felt totally welcome here where non-LEGO people just don’t understand. The whole room resonated with his words.
  • Fests are a great place for learning building techniques from other genres - ones you might not participate in
  • Because we interact with the brick beyond simply collecting - we build, create, discuss, etc, it drives the community forward
  • Tom Kowalczyk shared about his experience with Jr. High and LEGO. He cited the MIT idea of a ‘lifelong kindergarten’ approach to learning. Something I want to look into!
This is just a few of the thoughts and assertions you guys put out at the roundtable. I wish we had it on tape! Thanks to you all for coming, it made the session an absolute success!

For the benefit of those who came, and for those who didn’t, here are the open-ended questions I asked (and gave in the form of a handout) during the session. Feel free to continue the discussion here! :-)

1. What has happened to you at BrickFest that speaks to you about the community? Please share an experience about a friend, about a program, session, etc (or whatever)

2. Has this experience helped shape your impression...
a. About LEGO fans in general?
b. About your sub-community or genre?
c. About a sub-community or genre that you have little or no interest in?
d. About the LEGO Company?

3. What can you take away from BrickFest back to your local community, genre, organization, to guide its future community participation?

4. Based on your BrickFest experience, is the LEGO fan community more attractive to you? How do you see yourself participating in the hobby in the future based on your time here this weekend?

Discuss :o)

-Tim