 Events / BrickFest / 1358
Re: Synchronous Sequential Pneumatics presentation?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 23:00:20 GMT

Any chance of a lecture at LegoWorld 2003 in Zwolle (Netherlands)?

Duq

"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hi,
  I'm really into pneumatics because they can allow you to make "smart"
mechanisms that do not require the RCX and sensors.

  When I first found out about LEGO pneumatics, I got quite excited • because I
thought I could map much of what I know about computer and digital logic • design
to pneumatics allowing me to create complicated and advanced technic and
robotics models.

  It took me a while to map things from the computer technology to • pneumatics,
but I've got a good handle on it now.

  I figured out two things:  how to make boolean AND and OR logic gates • using
pneumatic pistons and switches, and how to make synchronous pneumatic • logic.

  I originally made a pneumatic adding/subtracting machine using an OR • gate
design that was mechanically complex, and slow.  My original design was • named
PneumAddic.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/pneumaddic/index.htm

  One day it hit me that I was making the gate design too complex, and • came up
with a much simpler, faster, more reliable gate design, that didn't • require as
high a pressure as my original design.  I also realized that it was easy • to
make either an AND or an OR gate just by making a minor change to the
mechanism.  Using these new gate designs, I was able to create a much • faster
PneumAddic that performed more of the arithmetic in penumatics.  My new • design
is called PneumAddic II.

  Using synchronous techniques, I was able to reduce my original pneumatic
capterpillar:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/caterpillar/index.htm

From two cyliners and two switches per caterpillar body segment, down to

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kclague/synchropillar/index.htm

one switch and one piston per caterpillar body segment.

Also the synchronous caterpillar walks faster than the asynchronous • version
(the original), because the asynchronous circuit spends half its time • cycling
back to the walking phase.  Synchropillar does not.

  Synchropillar is a *very* simple example of synchronous pneumatic • design.
I've got many more things to create using this.

  My question is:  Are people interested in a technical talk at BrickFest • about
these pneumatic design technigues?

Kevin