 Events / 938
Re: West Coast Lego Fan Convention - AKA BricksWest → BrickFest PDX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:40:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.events, Todd Thuma wrote:
Anyone is welcome to organize their own convention. There is no rules that
say you can or cannot. First you must have the desire to organize one. You
must find a place to hold it. Set a date. Enter into a contract with a
convention facility. Find an insurance company to protect you from liability.
Contact the Lego Company for their support and participation. Identify a core
group of volunteers. Plan a schedule of events. Determine a fair price that
people would be willing to pay for the convention. Create a logo. Find a T-
Shirt printer and negotiate a price. Take registration. Identify some hotels
that might be willing to give a discount. Get some bricks engraved. And each
one of these things take weeks to identify, determine, and decided upon. Then
you will have to keep after everyone to follow through. It is really very
easy! (SARCASM).

     I think that paragraph is probably the single most valuable statement
generated by this whole shpeal.  For those who might be interested in starting a
new Con, it lays out a starter list for event planning, and for those who
aren't, it lets them know how grateful that they should be when a group of
people feels masochistic enough to jump the hoops and get a show off the ground.
I mean, geez, insurance?  I never would have even thought of that...  Anyways,
to all Con organizers, past, present, and future, I salute you.  And maybe I'll
get to appreciate your hard work in person someday.