 Events / 589
Re: NILTC first show a success!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events, lugnet.trains.org.niltc, lugnet.loc.us.il
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:54:48 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney writes:
The Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club's show this weekend at High Wheeler
'02 went great!!

Absolute agreement, it was a ton of fun, and I'm really looking forward to
our next show!

The show was fun, but it took a tremendous amount of energy to set up.

Yeah, it was a real learning experience for me personally.  I have never
packed up 48 square feet of Lego brick and moved it 120 miles before  :)

Stephen deserves a medal for coming over at 4 AM on Saturday and helping me
load up his truck with Lego.  The trip down was a nerve wracking event, but
he came up with a module-packing method that worked great on the way back.

The crowd was amazing, we were very popular there and people could hardly
believe it was all LEGO.

The response was awesome!  The old-timers of the train show seemed to really
enjoy the layout as much as the little kids did.  One of the most repeated
questions I heard was "Is the track made out of Lego too?"

Okay, I just uploaded some pics I took during the show, here is a brief
run-down of captions;

01. A view of most of the set-up.  We are still small, but I think we did
well for our first show ever:

02. Here is the drawbridge in the middle of my downtown scene, the sand-red
building was built at the show on Saturday.  It was fun to throw it together
with limited parts and time.  The little fisherman never did manage to catch
anything, unfortunately.

03. Sorry its blurry, but I like this picture because it shows that Lego
appeals to all ages.

04. This yellow warehouse was built at the show on Sunday.  A small
gathering of kids watched me put it together in about an hour.  It helped to
show them that we build our stuff like they do; one brick at a time from out
of our imagination.

05. Another shot of the warehouse with some stock whizzing by.

06. Ondrew's train shed and transfer table with my Milwaukee Road F&M
Trainmaster and Stephen's Santa Fe Superchief.  You can see 2 rails of
rolling stock going by on the left, and a subway car waiting on a nearby
siding at the bottom.  Ondrew's transfer table is amazing technically, all
of the inside tracks are powered, as is the movement of the table and the
tracks on it.

07. Here is the 'inside' face of the warehouse.  A pizza delivery van rounds
the corner inside the tunnel, and a vespa scooter turns left towards the
downtown section.

08. A look down the main street downtown.  The Citgo station is in the
foreground, and Stephen's MOC Hogwarts Express passes on the left

09. A view down Stephen's modules based on Joliet, Il.  You can see his
train shed in the forground with a great copper shingled roof.

10. On the left is an orange working container crane I made.  You can see
someone is switching out engines manually, we plan to have room for an
actual switching yard for our next show.

11. Stephen is talking to someone on the right, on the left you can see
Brian positioning his camera tripod.  The little spectator in the center
seems to be checking out the pizza place.

12. The Lego mods roll into town on their tricked-out Vespas and a Lambretta.

13. The Notting Rhymeswith building, the bank and some street traffic (it
was a quiet day on the roads).

14. Another view of Stephen's Joliet.

15. Tim's LDraw building and personal Harrier Jet.  You can see someone
attempting to jump from the building, probably a spy from the company
developing a Virtual Best-Lock Program.

16. Joliet from the other side, a couple trains passing by.

17. The Citgo station.  I was really happy that the Jedi Starfighter had
dark red in it because it allowed me to decorate properly.

18. Two small industrial buildings on the south side of downtown.

19. The Chief stops traffic downtown in front of the big red department store.

20. Now there are two of them to stop traffic!

21. Looking uptown, you can see 3 giant minifigs (Joel, Ondrew, and Brian)
discussing trains.

22. Two proud bakers deliver a cake to a party on the terrace.

23. The drawbridge closes as a metroliner buzzes by behind.

24.  The Dunkin Donuts, and the answer to the question, "Why is the Police
Station empty?"

25. Some nuns going for Pizza take-away.

26. Those crazy mods again.

27. Stephen taking his office building apart to show the interior.

28. The Joliet train Station.

29. The front of the LDraw complex.

30. Tim's street.  Not quite sure how train cars got on top of the
firehouse... a mischevious minifig must have been messing around with the crane.

31. True to the real-life Joliet, you can see a troll skulking around the
alleyways eating cats.

32. A mysterious old steamer rounds the corner into town, a very large
bearded man at the controls.

33. The Metroliner climbs out from beneath the city.

34. The north side of downtown.

That's all from me til next time.

See you later!
Joel Kuester, NILTC